1969 schwinn stingray questions

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Move the shifter back, or remove it and replace it with a handlebar type.
Think twice before you butcher up that vintage bike....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you remove the shifter do not, repeat, do not get rid of it. In fact if you do remove it send it to me. I'll give it a very good home. I have to agree with Joe. That is a classic piece of iron that you might want to think twice about doing any alterations to; especially if it means cutting or welding. I'd store that thing and let it build in value and choose another bike for motorizing. But that's just me. There are a lot of guys doing the later version of the stingray, the occ choppers are very popular but if it was up to me I'd take very good care of that 69 and be glad you have it.
Tom

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I saw a very good looking new classic stingray at Wally. Call it a sacrificial lamb to the MB god's.

Couldn't find link to it saw the MantiRay but that's not it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Terrible for a china bike but great for a epusher motor. No real attachments to the bike to speak of and only a few wire ties to run the switch.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think that bike is a very good choice!! It's called a "fast back" Sting Ray... It will give you a little more room for the engine. Use a 32t rear sprocket on it, & DONT DRILL ANY HOLES IN THE FRAME!!!
Keep the shifter!!! (IT IS WORTH $$$)

dnutdnutdnutdnut

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
a local bike shop does vintage bike restorations and sells them... has a Stingray just like that going for $650 restored.. if the engine was put on it, it would de-value it immensly as well as ruin the bike over time... probably would be a neat bike to do a kit on, but the worst choice ever

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
the kits are bolt on go for it
thats an awsome bike to motorize with a 2 stroke
I think it would be awsome if you motorized that bike
If that was my bike it wouldn't be 2 weeks before it was motorized and running.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah if you want to ruin the re-sale value of it, scratch the frame and possibly cause other damage to it, by all means, go for it.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Once upon a time, I "modified" a Fender guitar with hot pick ups, "better" bridge, ect. It went from being a 2000++ dollar guitar to a 450 dollar guitar.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yep, fo'sho'.
I was just trying to forwarn that the "value" may be decreased and if that is O.K. with someone, then go for it.
I have had "purists" rip me a new one for building vintage models...God forbid you take one out of the original box and "ruin" it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My vote goes for buying the yellow sting ray but don't motorize it. It has all the rare parts like the shifter, front drum brake, etc.
You can buy a bike similar to the sting ray cheap from Walmart or craigslist. If the cheap bike gets scratched up during motor installation, it's not a big deal. The is something stunning about these sting ray styled bikes with a china motor stuffed in it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A cheap source of frames for building a stingray REPLICA may be found in lowrider frames.
Lowrider frames for 20" wheels are largely based on stingrays. A lot of them are sold with the bondo areas filled-in but many look like a stock stingray.

HBWC

Oct 31, 2010
western australia
A cheap source of frames for building a stingray REPLICA may be found in lowrider frames.
Lowrider frames for 20" wheels are largely based on stingrays. A lot of them are sold with the bondo areas filled-in but many look like a stock stingray.
your right i have a replica (using a bratz bike) but the lowrider range would work well just add 26 inch springier forks and a 16 inch front wheel

still thinking of motorising it but been told it pops wheelies really easy