First time build.. advice? ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

MattTek

Feb 2, 2012
Southern California
I'm going to be building a motorized mountain bike and have seen so many awesome builds while lurking around here that I figured I'd ask for some guidance from the experts!

I'd like to build this for commuting and going on semi-long range trips, so my main goal is reliability/durability. I am not worried about top speed so much, but I would like to be able to cruise at 25-30MPH on flat ground. From what I've seen so far, seems like my setup would be an in-frame 66/80cc two stroke motor with a shifting kit.

Budget: 700$
My bike: GT Aggressor 3.0

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I guess the main thing I am looking for is tips on configuration, trustworthy/quality brands and distributors, etc. What would you do with this bike and 700$? Looking forward to starting a build thread and creating an awesome ride. Thanks!

zaviii

Oct 17, 2008
Chico, Ca
Hi, matttek my name is Xavier and want to encourage you to remove the studs from the motor and locktite them and pretty much all others except the sprocket bolts. You can see my support page for added support, I hope this helps.

http://savegasmoney17.com

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
i would not put an engine on such a nice bike. my first build is scratched up, dented, and the paint is ruined by spilled gas. do not over tighten the gas tank bolts! mine are cracked at the tanks, so it leaks. patched many times with jb weld, keeps cracking open again. shift kits are tough to install. just my $0.02

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First of all welcome to the forum. Nice bike. Here are some things to look at before installing a Chinese 2 cycle on a bike.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

Since you have the bike, a $700.00 working capital is more then enough. I can build one for $300.00 which includes a new cruiser. Of course that was last year prices, today I figure the same build about $325.00 to $350.00, as the engines have gone up a little. But far less then $400.00.

Last edited:

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
I agree! Didn't mean to be discouraging. Just be very careful putting it together and put thick plastic sheet around the frame where the engine mounts on. Don't use the crappy chain tensioner if you want to keep your sanity. Put washers between the rear mounting block and the engine, so the engine is moved slightly forward and the chain is tightened. Upgrade the deraileur for a shift kit. Put lock tight on everything! Bikes don't normally see much vibration, so things will fall off when you put engine on it.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
i would not put an engine on such a nice bike. my first build is scratched up, dented, and the paint is ruined by spilled gas. do not over tighten the gas tank bolts! mine are cracked at the tanks, so it leaks. patched many times with jb weld, keeps cracking open again. shift kits are tough to install. just my $0.02
One way of mounting the tank, as I do ALL of mine is take 2 strips of tarp straps (almost as long as the tank) and glue to the bottom of the tank before mounting, the straps will compress and keeps the tank in place without over tightening. Straps are easy to get for free...just look on the road side, I have a whole box that I've accumulated.

MattTek

Feb 2, 2012
Southern California
Thanks for the info/tips guys. I'll take it slow for sure, I have a lot of free time on my hands and my cars were stolen so this will be a fun hobby to invest time in as well as practical!

I do have one other bike I had considered using, it is a Motiv "Ground Pounder".

It's in good shape, lighty used, but has been sitting out in the yard exposed so some components would need to be replaced. That's not too big of a deal though, just more opportunity for customizing. It has a steel frame, as opposed to the GT's aluminum. It has no front suspension, which I'd want to add. It has a larger in-frame space than the GT.

Any thoughts on this? Would you use the Motiv over the GT Aggressor?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I'd go with the Motiv "Ground Pounder" as a first build, as the GT is real nice. Then after you get some experience mountain, you can do another or swap to the GT.

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
I say go for the GT, if you want to. I just did a GT myself. Same frame, different model. The only thing I had trouble on was that only 3 bolts didn't fit threw the holes of the sprocket on the back tire. And the carburetor doesn't really fit, because of the back angle of the frame. But you can get one of those Z things for the carburetor to come out of a angle.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
YA might want to steer away from the aluminum frame , thats a soft metal an when exposed to the vibration of a motor it could stress harden an begin cracking an failing at its joints , although other members have used frames of aluminum with good results you just need to be a bit more careful .
Gary

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The main thing I tell all builders is: check your local laws for what they'll allow. Then what is the type of terrain you'll be riding on. 4 stroke motors tend to have a longer life. Clean air filter, and change the oil at recommended times. When it comes to the quality of motored bikes you get what you're willing to pay for.