my first getting hit by a car

GoldenMotor.com

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I got hit by a drunk when I was just a nose picker. I will never forget how big that car looked coming at me. I always have A way out! Broken arm & leg slows a kid down. We didn't have helmets back then. Wish we had!

shoggoth80

Jan 30, 2011
Seattle
Always watch out for someone turning left in front of you. People don't watch for 2 wheeled things. I got hit on a Suzuki GS550 when I had a green light going straight. Woman didn't yield, and turned left in front of me. She tried to say "but I had a green light!" and I replied "yeah lady, so did I, the difference was, you were supposed to yield on a solid green and didn't." She did NOT have a green arrow. Even the cop tried to say I rear ended her, until I corrected him. Don't trust cars, and don't trust cops to get the story straight either. Be firm with your details of the events.

Took me a few months to find the appropriate replacement parts. Wasn't expensive...pretty sure I did more damage to her car (ripped her plastic bumper right off). It was probably one of the scarier events in my life, and I have had a few.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Blah, I can't even trust cars to do what they signal they are doing
Just the other day, Crossing on the left hand side of the street on the sidewalk, Come to a stop, see a car across the intersection with left turn signal on, they come to a stop. Intersection has a constant green light in my direction, All traffic in the cars direction is supposed to yeild.

I drive out.. And the #%^#% guns it! Nearly drives right into me, straight through the intersection, with her left turn signal on!! If she had turned left, no problem, If she had yaknow, YEILDED to me, as law requires, No problem. But no, she wanted to try and run me over. stupid @#$%. Next time im chasen em down and smashing thier turn signal out.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Scary

http://www.who-sucks.com/wp-content/uploads/icons/2007/08/logo-bike.jpg

I have dodged vehicular assaults before at stoplights by anti-bike SOB that lives here, turning left in front of me and cutting across the divider line in his pickup. Especially watch for trailers on pickups! They are usually wider than the pickup wheelbase, and trailers "cheat" in corners anyway.

Always watch out for someone turning left in front of you. People don't watch for 2 wheeled things. I got hit on a Suzuki GS550 when I had a green light going straight. Woman didn't yield, and turned left in front of me. She tried to say "but I had a green light!" and I replied "yeah lady, so did I, the difference was, you were supposed to yield on a solid green and didn't." She did NOT have a green arrow. Even the cop tried to say I rear ended her, until I corrected him. Don't trust cars, and don't trust cops to get the story straight either. Be firm with your details of the events.

Took me a few months to find the appropriate replacement parts. Wasn't expensive...pretty sure I did more damage to her car (ripped her plastic bumper right off). It was probably one of the scarier events in my life, and I have had a few.

Last edited:

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Here in NYC you need to have your head on a swivel and EXPECT drivers to not be paying attention or do something stupid.
I once was distracted by some children crossing the street from between parked cars and I didn't see the moron that ran a red light in front of me.
I hit him square in the drivers side door and bent my Jamis cyclocross frame with a friction rack mounted 49cc 4 stroke on it in half!
I flew over the roof of the car and some how managed to land on my feet. By some miracle, I was not hurt.
Heres the kicker... the guys insurance company tried to sue me!
Fortunately, several witnesses stepped up and testified that its was the car drivers fault and not mine... so I SUED him for the cost of a new bike and won.
You really have to be aware in city traffic.
Lights, LOUD Horns, good helmets and paying careful attention to where one is going is mandatory!
As i like to say-
Keep it shiny side up!
BBB

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
WOW... it was hard to tell from the vid who was in the wrong, but that's one lucky rider, if he had bee going a bit faster or she a bit slower it could have killed him.
BBB

Ursus

Aug 12, 2010
NYC
I need to add a horn and some lights to my bike. Almost got hit by a mercedees today .. Flushing traffic sucks...

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Iv had one of those horns for a little while now, And its definately useful.

Allready had to flag down one women because her turn signal/right brake light was burnt out.. Nearly went up next to her as she was turning right untill I realised something was not right.. and not to trust people -_-;

Last edited:

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Hey buzbike, when I first started riding around in the most southern part of staten island, I thought it was gonna be cool riding around on this bicycle thing with 2 stroke. Well the big lesson I learned was that slowing down makes all the difference. I'm not saying that would of helped you avoid that guy running the light, all I'm saying that 90% of the time speed is the major factor in having close calls and near misses. The first 3 weeks of riding, I was cut off twice by cars riding along side me. My years of riding a motorcycle did not prepare me for this mb stuff. You can only relax a little over here and I know Bklyn is way tougher because of all the cell phone users and do or die driving tactic's.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I have mentioned this before but I use a airzound bike horn and it is loud and works great. It has saved my butt

Yeah Dave ive seen those before, they are good n loud... and have the benefit of being refillable with your bike pump... no battery to replace...
Tasty choice, but if you don't have room for (or want it on your bike) the air bottle the electric mega horns are pretty good as well.
Being heard and seen is being safe.
BBB

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Hey buzbike, when I first started riding around in the most southern part of staten island, I thought it was gonna be cool riding around on this bicycle thing with 2 stroke. Well the big lesson I learned was that slowing down makes all the difference. I'm not saying that would of helped you avoid that guy running the light, all I'm saying that 90% of the time speed is the major factor in having close calls and near misses. The first 3 weeks of riding, I was cut off twice by cars riding along side me. My years of riding a motorcycle did not prepare me for this mb stuff. You can only relax a little over here and I know Bklyn is way tougher because of all the cell phone users and do or die driving tactic's.
Ahh yes, the good old-
"guessing what the idiot behind the wheel on the cell phone is gonna do trick"
Its one of my faves... that and "TAXI dodging" in Manhattan.
Im getting very good at reading driver Body, head and hand language... by watching the drivers hands and head movement I've avoided getting wiped more than 1000 times.

Seriously.... I find a VERY LOUD horn and very powerful bright lights are a must and STILL no guarantee that you wont get ground into to cat food against the parked cars because some fool in a hurry couldn't pay attention.
I use 2 ultra loud Mega horns and a custom lighting system on my ride.
A flashing white 60 lume strobe, and twin 60 lume lens LEDs focus spot light i made out of small hand held flash lights.
For tail end i like all in one turn/stop light that's been modified to strobe as well AND a regular pocket bike light on my helmet(with rear view mirror)
I use an R/C toy car battery to power both the horns and light, a Hi/Lo switch, 2 relays, and those brake levers that they use on electric bikes to trigger the strobe effect and the brake light, and a old Harley Davidson turn signal switch.

No matter how much safety equipment you have
YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION... head on a swivel... EXPECT! that some ones not going to to see you or care.
Keep it shiny side up!
BBB

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
My lighting system is 12 volt, powered by 5 & 7 amp hour batteries. My lights are automotive, with a 55 watt driving light for a headlight. I think a small electric horn would be right up my alley.