Do you think this hub gear would survive motorising?

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Questions about the likely survival of hub gears under motorising are a favourite topic so when I found these pictures of a vintage 3 speed Peterson hub I couldn't help wondering if it was up to it or not.

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I would think with gears like that it would if the bearings were up to it. They probably need to run in an oil or grease bath though to stay lubricated properly.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's neat. Never seen anything quite like that before. Not knowing, but guessing that being gentle with the shifting and easy on the throttle would help their longevity. What vintage would that be?
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree with Silverbear. Treated with respect and gentleness I'll bet those old gears would take the stress just fine. Ease off when shifting and keep them well lubricated and they're probably superior to anything made today. My guess would be they're forged, not cast, and therfore very strong items.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Wow...

That lopsided out of balance hub looks like it would be a vibration nightmare at pedal speeds so no matter how sturdy and cool looking it may be probably a poor choice for anything over about 5 MPH.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think KC makes a good point. I didn't realize at first that the gears rotated around the hub but that much weight spinning at engine speeds might be a real issue. Even as close to the center as it is, that much unbalanced weight will be felt. Just our opinion.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I think KC makes a good point. I didn't realize at first that the gears rotated around the hub but that much weight spinning at engine speeds might be a real issue. Even as close to the center as it is, that much unbalanced weight will be felt. Just our opinion.

Tom
Internal shifting hubs have made a lot of progress since WWI as well, I really like the new stuff for shifter building, at least as reliable as a derailleur but you can use fat single speed chain ;-}