Motor Mounts

GoldenMotor.com

Lincoln78

Mar 4, 2013
Danville,IL
Ok Well To Start things off, I have 2 66/80cc Flying Horse Engines..(not gonna say where I bought them from). Anyways I Bought 2 Diff Beach cruiser Bikes from the same company I bought the engines from, Well Im VERY Disappointed With Them & The Company I Bought Them From! They Told me the Engine Kits WOULD work with BOTH Bike..Well guess What..I Paid $952.00 For 2 Bikes & Engines...Well Over $1700.00 Later I Have 2 Metal Junkpiles sitting in my livingroom....I spent over $400 in a Professional Machine shop to Fabricate Motor Mounts for just 1 bike, They lasted 2-3 days tops Each time I had them in the shop...All in 1 week mind you. So Im To my End of the Rope With these Bikes & Engines, Motor Mounts. So If ANYONE Has Had ANY problems PLEASE Help me out. I can Take Pictures of the (Factory) Mounts & The $400 Mounts I had to have made...I Live in Central IL & Cant Find ANYONE To work on these. So Any Help Would Be Greatful! TYVM!!!!!!

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
I posted some pics of my bike on here and I think that my method of mounting will work for any bike that has the open V type frame regardless of frame tube size . no drilling or any change to frame at all just a few added part from any hardware store

Lincoln78

Mar 4, 2013
Danville,IL
It Keeps Snapping The Motor Mount Bolts, We Tried Grade 5 First cuz thats what the guy at the Machine shop said would work. Well They Snapped them like toothpicks, So the next Time we Put Grade 8 Bolts in, they lasted maybe 1 1/2 Days Longer then the others. As Soon as I find How & Where to post pics I will. Ty All....And You Right Aint That Tough...But Obviously Somethings Wrong ?

midwestmayhem

Dec 23, 2011
southeast S.D.
It Keeps Snapping The Motor Mount Bolts, We Tried Grade 5 First cuz thats what the guy at the Machine shop said would work. Well They Snapped them like toothpicks, So the next Time we Put Grade 8 Bolts in, they lasted maybe 1 1/2 Days Longer then the others. As Soon as I find How & Where to post pics I will. Ty All....And You Right Aint That Tough...But Obviously Somethings Wrong ?
How tight are you tightening them? No matter the grade, they're still little bolts. I usually tighten mine with a small wrench with two fingers right up next to the bolt. You can use locktight or studs with lock nuts if your worried about them coming loose, but I never do.

Is there any interferience between the bolts and something else that may be forcing/bending the bolts up, down, left, right etc... ?

Hope this helps

Pedalson Of Anarchy

May 4, 2013
Canada
After my first 2 or 3 rides, I found that there too many vibrations so i weldedand two pieces, and put rubber and two u-bolts, its verry better!

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
mounts most often snap due to the chain riding up the sprocket and pulling REALLY hard on them

mounting the engine with rubber can cause it to tilt a bit and cause the chain problem

most cruiser bikes are a pretty easy mount with just the standard parts that come in the kits

try looking closely at some pics of other folk's cruisers to see how they do it

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There Solid Aluminum Mounts But I Have Rubber Inbetween Them to seize the vibration
There's the problem! Get rid of the rubber! It will not eliminate vibration but only transfer it to the mounts and fasteners. There is plenty to read here on that subject. It has been tried countless times and it does not work!

You might get away with it temporarily but eventually, somethings going to break. Guaranteed!

Start over. Mount the engine solid to the frame and go from there.

Tom

Last edited:

Lincoln78

Mar 4, 2013
Danville,IL
Im Trying To Figure Out How To Post My Pics, I Got Them In The Community Tab Under Photos & Albums, But It Wont Let Me Upload Them All, But The Ones I Got On There Shows The Mounts & What Everything Looks Like...Any Help With Uploading Would Be Great..Ty!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
kinda looks like instead of spending all that money, you could have just added one extra rear mount block to the front with longer studs or bolts, but I usually just use the flat plate that comes with the kit

a bit of PVC in the rear mount is nice, but never rubber anywhere

midwestmayhem

Dec 23, 2011
southeast S.D.
I see how you set up the rear mount, but what are you running on the front? All I see on the front in the pics is a floating motor-not good.

A buddy of mine lost the nut on his universal front mount one time (type you have to drill a hole through the frame) the bike vibrated like crazy.
this was the type of mount, I don't suggest using it though.
http://www.gasbike.net/Front-Engine-Mount.html

If you don't have a front engine mount, that is probably your problem. I'd suggest using a mount like this
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=85&osCsid=vhkrer0rp9iqnketstpt2ajj04

or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-gas-bi...ngine-mount-double-ring-bracket-/160946810864

They can easily be made too. Just measure the diameter of the tube and go down to an auto parts store and get a u-bolt style exhaust clamp for that size of tube (or as close as you can get) Then grab a small piece of flat stock and drill two sets of holes- one set that will attach to the motor, the other to the clamp.

I suggest to anyone using or planning on using a u-bolt style clamp to cut one or two pieces of sheet metal (about 16 gauge) bend them to follow the radius of the tube, and put them between the u-bolt and the frame to prevent crimping the frame.

I don't run a rubber mount, but if I did I would probably use a chunk of an old inner tube. Don't think I would want it much thicker than that, but some run em and don't have any trouble.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'd suggest removing the rubber and using better hardware.
The more solid the motor mounts are, the better.