Shift kit with 3 speed internal hub shifter???

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
has anyone motorized a beach cruiser with a 3 speed internal hub shifter and put a shift kit on it? it seems like it would top out to fast in 3rd gear.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Having a connection problem Nikko so can't get you a link. But happened to be looking up some thing similar yesterday and came up with information on internal hubs with shift kits. There is a ton of information. Seems to have been done a lot. Was some very interesting reading.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
.shft.I have a Schwinn Cruiser with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal shift. Yes it is fairly fast in 3rd gear. The analog speedo hits close to 40! It feels way faster than I need to go. On the other hand 1st gear is an awsome hill climbing gear. When cruising along in 3rd gear the motor is not turning so many RPM,s. Its great I just love that bike!

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
ok thanks tim turbo thats what i meant, and by too fast it seems like 3rd gear would be spinning to fast at a low speed, because im not familiar with how heavy those gear ratios are. compared to a mtn bike with 7 speeds, i cant even redline at 6th gear so i still have 7th. it seemed like if i only had 3 speeds i would speed to 3rd gear and my engine would be spinning at high rpms while maybe going like 25 or so

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
I did a 4 Stroke with a shift kit to a 3 speed hub and was VERY pleased with it. Pulls you right out of the water in 1st (and that's with an old, fat fart (265#) on it, and goes much faster in 3rd than I want to go. I sold Blackjack to a disabled vet for MUCH less than I had in it, he was using it for his sole mode of transportation and some %^$&* stole it from him a week later. So, if you see her down south Texas way, shoot the dude..