Mongoose Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
Hi all. Have built two Huffy cruisers in past. Have found a Mongoose Redondo cruiser cheap in area it has front hand brake and rear coaster with a three speed hub, 18" frame and 26" wheels. Anyone know about these bikes? is it a good platform for a 49cc? It's 10 yars old but not riden much so its a clean bike. Will need to replace tires. Thanks
Doug

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I ran 'Mongoose Redondo' through our 'search' and came up with no hits. That means the bike name hasn't appeared on the forum.

If anyone has motorized this particular bike, post a comment here for the OP.

Good luck shoundog. Maybe someone will reply.

Tom

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
Thanks 2door I can't seem to find much on thes bikes eather, price was right so went ahead and got it. Seem to be a good bike. All Shimano hub, gears and brakes. Thumb leaver shifter with push button downshift. Now to decide on 2 or 4 stroke. will take mesurements and decide.

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
Ok first problem I have found with this bike. I has roller brakes on rear and besides the fact that they don't stop very well, they will not allow for the sprocket and rag to be fitted to this wheel. Some short reading on the web tells me I can remove all together, (this frame does have lugs for rear brake) but not sure of this yet and if removed will I have to take the space up with something, maybe the sprocket will do that. My other option would be to find a wheel and hub and just swap out. I would like to use a sprocket adapter on this project. Third would be a jack shaft kit but not sure that will work since the 4 gear hub is internal.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I have not heard much success with internally shifted hubs unless they are used as a jackshaft. This way they are spinning substantially faster and more teeth are contacted for any given distance. Keep us posted if you feed it direct engine power I am curious if anyone finds a strong enough internal hub.