Diaphram carb & bad exhaust location

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Got back from a long ride and got a supprise when I shut the engine off! Heard this Pssst, Pssst,Pssst sound. My carb was leaking fuel on the exhaust pipe. This did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I have no idea what the carb problem is; but I do know that it is not the fuel line connection. Bad part is that it is a tight fit and have to pull the engine to remove the carb(Bummer as this build has been running & sounding great)!

Does anyone know if you can damage the diaphram by over pumping the manual primer button. The carb is a tecumseh.

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
It's conceivable over pumping the primer bulb may have ruptured an already brittle diaphram. (The bulb pumps air against the back of the diaphram)

The diaphram then pushes the needle off of the seat to allow passage of gas coming in through the fuel inlet into the carb.
If there is crud in the needle, seat or the diaphram is punctured there is your cause for a leak.
Of course it could be something as simple as a bad gasket.
Either way time for a can of carb cleaner and a re-build kit as long as you have it off. Bummer... just did 2 Zama weedeater carbs this morning myself.

Best of luck
TiM

PS ,,,Spraying carb cleaner in your eye through one of those tiny passageways always sucks

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Thank you for the information. I did buy a rebuild kit for this old carb a long time ago(now just have to find it).
With a little fore thought I would have rebuilt it before installing that old used carb.

PS: I'll use safety glasses and if I can't find them I'll just keep my eyes closed during the rebuild!

Thanks again Jim E.

It's conceivable over pumping the primer bulb may have ruptured an already brittle diaphram. (The bulb pumps air against the back of the diaphram)

The diaphram then pushes the needle off of the seat to allow passage of gas coming in through the fuel inlet into the carb.
If there is crud in the needle, seat or the diaphram is punctured there is your cause for a leak.
Of course it could be something as simple as a bad gasket.
Either way time for a can of carb cleaner and a re-build kit as long as you have it off. Bummer... just did 2 Zama weedeater carbs this morning myself.

Best of luck
TiM

PS ,,,Spraying carb cleaner in your eye through one of those tiny passageways always sucks