Coaster brake conversion for rear wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
I had busted some spokes on my rear tire because of a chain slippage but I was wondering if I could buy a coaster rim and remove the brake mechanism inside of it and use it as my rear wheel tire. Any suggestions or tips for doing this?drn2

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm not quite clear on just where you're at right now.

Is your bike a single speed, coaster brake or a multi-speed with derrailleur? (Spelling?)

Multi-chainring type bikes have a longer axle, hence wider dropouts, than single speed bikes. Converting is not impossible, but it's a pain.

I'd recommend just buying a new wheel. Cheap ones can be had for about 40 bucks or so.

And also start trashpicking bikes in the neighborhood so that you have spare parts, like wheels, to fall back on.

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
Sorry about the lack of details. It is a 26 inch mountain bike with a cassete on the back wheel but I took off the derailur because it didn't work.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Why not just replace/fix/adjust your derailleur? 26" MTB wheels are a dime a dozen if you cannot repair or true your old one.

I like multi speeds vs a single speed makes my rides more enjoyable but that just my personal preference.