GoldenMotor.com

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
I am filling out this application:
http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

I am curious about the part that I bolded and underlined from section A:

And in section A it says:
"If you answered 'Yes' to all four questions, complete the application below, in the appropriate sections.

If you answered 'No' to any of the questions, your vehicle is not a motorized bicycle as defined by the California Vehicle Code 406. Complete the Application for Registration (REG 343) to apply for appropriate registration."

Do we need to register motorized bicycles? Did you do REG 343? Is it required (by law) to do REG 343 (register) to make a motorized bicycle legal?

Also:
At the top right corner of the application what do I put in for CA license plate? What do I put in for make and engine number?

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Forget the REG 343 - it doesn't apply. Fill out the REG 230.

Only fill out sections A & D. Leave the License Plate box blank. Use the bicycle serial as the VIN, and if your motor doesn't have a number, put an E in front of the bike serial and use that. It doesn't really matter.

Get a USPS Postal Money Order for $19 - it seems to speed up the process if the DMV doesn't need to hold your check. I got both my plates in about 2 weeks.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
An E in front is where? E and then serial number? Or Serial number and then E? (Ex. E12345 or 12345E?)

How long will it take for me to get my plate in?
By the way does this application also register it or is it just to get the license plate?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the E is just for looks. you can put it anywhere. i put it in the front. it was my idea. i figured it would be easier to have matching numbers with the bike's serial number, and the E stood for "engine."

plates take me 6-10 weeks, but i've always sent a check.

yes, you'll get a little slip of paper with all the registration stuff on it, and a plate.

no, you don't have to go through this every year. one time fee, one time registration.

i've answered everything else in a PM. please don't make it any more difficult than it is. which it isn't. a handful of simple questions, 19 bucks and a stamp.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
It's actually 18 bucks according to the DMV website. But you made everything else clear so thank you.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
It's actually 18 bucks according to the DMV website. But you made everything else clear so thank you.

That's out of date. Although the DMV has been processing them at $18, do yourself a favor and make it out for $19.

Here's a pic of my first MB registration:

Last edited:

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
The DMV site still shows $18 as the fee but it went to $19 as of January 1, 2009. Some people have been able to register by sending $18, but the $19 fee amount is shown on the registration card. If you're feeling lucky just send them the $18!

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Lucky teh hee, till something goes wrong and you go to court and the state tries to argue it's your fault because your vehicle wasn't registered properly and should have never been on the road in the first place and had it not been on the road nothing would have happened. Highly unlikely I know but just pay the extra buck for piece of mine I say.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
$20 bucks to keep the armed thugs away?
that's pretty cheep!
...wonder how much I could get for them loomies...
Good thread, B.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Ok, so it's weird how I got my license plate 1 week later because it arrived today and I sent the money just last week.
Am I lucky?
DMV is located near me so I guess that is.

Well so I got the license plate and a sheet of paper.
Is this it? Is the paper the registration?
On the paper in the titles it says:
ID CARD and then Expire date of 00/00/00
and then there was a bottom portion as well that titles
INSTRUCTIONS. And so on about transferring or something. Also has numbers above the title TL, LIC#, VIN, and FC.

Is this it? Or is registration sent in a different mail a bit later?

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Also in the paper it says Seller's signature and date sold.
Is this the registration?

Is the signature required? Can I just sign it?

And then the bottom portion. Guide me through please.

Also what should I carry the entire page (with top and bottom halves) or just the top half of the page with me when riding my motorized bicycle?

Thanks.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the top half is the registration. you need to carry that part with you.

the bottom half is if you sell it. you'll need to fill all that out and mail it in when you sell it to release you of all liability, and so the buyer can register it in his name. you don't have to do anything with it unless you sell the bike.

make a copy of the whole thing and carry the top half with you, and put the original in a safe place. a copy is as good as the real thing if you get pulled over.

the reason it says 00/00/00 is because it's a one-time deal. you don't have to register it every year.

pretty cool that it only took a week.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Bairdo,
Take a look at the picture.

The picture is originally from post #8 in this forum, but I have a few questions.
My circles are in green and those are the ones I will ask about.

First, the smaller green circle says "ENG#: ******" . I do not have the ENG# on my registration. What is it? Do I need to have it/ is it required?
Do you have it?

Second, the larger green circle asks for seller's signature and date sold.
Do I need to put anything in that field? What did you do with yours in that spot?
Did you sign it and put a date?

Attachments

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Bairdo,
Take a look at the picture.

The picture is originally from post #8 in this forum, but I have a few questions.
My circles are in green and those are the ones I will ask about.

Since that's my picture, maybe I can answer.

First, the smaller green circle says "ENG#: ******" . I do not have the ENG# on my registration. What is it? Do I need to have it/ is it required?
Do you have it?

This is kind of interesting - I have two MBs registered. On that first one, I found the number "119966" stamped into the no-name Chinese motor so I listed that on the application, and it appeared on my registration as you can see. If you look closely, I'd say it was added with a typewriter rather than being part of the printed form.

For my second bike, I just put an "E" in front of the frame serial and used that for the engine number. On the registration, there is no "ENG#" listed and that part of the form is just a blank spot.

I don't know is this is the result of some sort of change at the DMV, or maybe just a lazy clerk/typist. But it doesn't matter because it's a legal registration from the DMV so don't fret about it.

Second, the larger green circle asks for seller's signature and date sold.
Do I need to put anything in that field? What did you do with yours in that spot?
Did you sign it and put a date?

Yes, you sign and date it - when you sell it! Are you selling it today? If not, don't sign it. Simple as that.

Dude, you're working yourself into a tizzy over nothing. You have a valid registration for an MB, so you have nothing to worry about. All you have to do is hang your plate on the back of your bike, make a copy of the registration and stick it in your pocket, mount your lights, and wear your helmet.

Now go for a ride and let the world marvel at your new creation. Life is wonderful. Unless your live where it's cold and snows, then it sucks. :D

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
I thought the person that sold the bike to me is supposed to sign the second part and put a date there (previous owner, retailer, or company (mail it to them and have them send it back to you with a signature). And if what I said is true then I can as well just put my own signature since no one would really notice that it is really mine.

I mean isn't the bottom portion supposed to be if you sell it and not the top portion (Isn't the new owner going to get a new top portion in their name)?

I do not plan on selling my motorbike. So I just leave the signature field blank?
Were you ever pulled over and the police saw it blank (This is the part I'm afraid of)?
Or is it both portions need to be filled out (top half (signature and date) and bottom half of the page) if you sell it?

Last edited: