His & Hers electric 3-speed Rovers

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I am building a couple simple to operate shifting E-bikes for an elderly couple.

26" Mens 3-speed Micargi Rover for him, 24" 3-speed Micargi Rover for her.

Both are getting the SickBikeParts 36V kit and a 36V 12Ah bottle battery.
They are both getting front and rear C-brakes as well.

His is an hour from being done.

I really find this to be an ideal system.
Simple gears you can change standing still, just 2 straight strong chains that balance the load on the pedal freewheel, self tensioning motor chain, just simple and amazingly sporty.

The his 26 will do 30, don't know about the her 24 yet.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yep, just a simple design.

I really like builds like these electrics, there is plenty of room to play with things so long as you keep the wiring in mind.

Making all that wire disappear is the creative part ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
HIS bike is done.

Just a compact little unit and some custom sheet metal work and it looks pretty ambiguous.
Just another dead quite pedal bike with an odd water bottle.

All the real weight is as low it can go but the battery is ~15# and cumbersome to unhook.
The battery can be charged in place but it can come out to store, charge or swap as well.

I left enough cable to just unlock the battery (that removable key), pull it out and rest it against it the left pedal to unhook the batteries connector.
It's not like it's too heavy to hold, just cumbersome ;-}
Note the battery has an off/off switch as well.

The battery has a power indicator as does the throttle which also has an off-off switch.
reach under the battery and you can disable power in a bit more stealthy way.

HERS is in the bay now but it needs a little more custom mounting work.

Darn tiny bike but what she wanted.
Just for size reference that controller is only 4.25" long and it barely fits.

Note the dual independent C-brakes.
The front was easy on both, but the backs require drilling out the fender mounts all the way through to the top.

No big deal, they are steel frames with great welds and right where supports abound.

Just to harp a bit...
NO motorized bike, regardless of the power, is safe to operate without working front and rear brakes, period.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Quite nice Indeed! Ive really gotta get my batteries off the back seat and into the lower triangle.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks guys.
I can usually keep the chain guard but with the motor in front there just anything left to mount the front to the bike.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
My mechanic Cole took His test riding yesterday.
Sitting up comfortably with absolutely NO pedal help.

He is 6' 220# and lives 10 miles away, 5 of it uphill from me.
He rode it around here for 8 miles then rode it home, then rode it around some more last night before plugging it in at 18 miles.

So, a big man sitting up like a drag chute with no pedal help at all and tackling a long hill 18 miles is the range.

Top speed by gear:

1st 12 mph
2nd 20 mph
3rd 28 mph

Not bad for such a small power source but that has a great deal to do with the gears.

One note about internal 3-speeds, you need an axle tug to keep the right side from moving under torque.
I used this axle tug and piece of widow curtain rod L bracket...

It works good ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
All done.

This is Hers

Note the pics don't show the front baskets.

They are both little removable shopping hand baskets that drop on to a mount in front and the handle locks them to the bike with ease, very cool.

Actually you can sort of see them here on my new delivery truck.

Having a little pick-up truck let's me expand my business a bit ;-}

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
good work KC, both look awesome bud.

i started off with a 1000w hub motor an now have gotten rid of that setup
an have basically the same setup as these bike you've done mines set at 1200w
an runs a the same 3 speed hub to be honest i wish i'd gone for the mid drive
first

only issue i've had is the motor shutting down due to getting to hot i made a heat sink which fixed the issue however i can't upload pictures because they keep failing to upload

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
good work KC, both look awesome bud.

i started off with a 1000w hub motor an now have gotten rid of that setup
an have basically the same setup as these bike you've done mines set at 1200w
an runs a the same 3 speed hub to be honest i wish i'd gone for the mid drive first
I like having a Kilowatt of power myself, you can really move with that much juice and gears.

only issue i've had is the motor shutting down due to getting to hot i made a heat sink which fixed the issue however i can't upload pictures because they keep failing to upload
Yep, using a Kilowatt of power produces a lot of heat.

You don't have to upload pics to this site to display them, they just have to be addressable with a URL you type in a browser.

http://kcsbikes.com/bPics/2_MongooseFatR-1280.jpg

Then you just wrap the URL with IMG /IMG tags like this.

Pics display at 700 pixels wide here I think, if the pic is larger clicking it gives the full size.

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
You don't have to upload pics to this site to display them, they just have to be addressable with a URL you type in a browser.

http://kcsbikes.com/bPics/2_MongooseFatR-1280.jpg

Then you just wrap the URL with IMG /IMG tags like this.

Pics display at 700 pixels wide here I think, if the pic is larger clicking it gives the full size.
i have no idea how to do it KC on other forums i can just upload that's as far as my limited knowledge goes hence one reason why i don't have any of those social media things

i could email them to you........