Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen Wrench,
Here here is some more inspiration as if you need it. Well worth joining to see the workmanship.
Silverbear and I have often talked about using the other half of the canoe that was used for the sidecar build as a body for a velocar. Any thoughts about what size of motorcycle you would use?

Money. It always stands in the way of genius doesn't it.

>Yes. Yes it does.

Steve.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cyclekart/
Size of motorcycle = Don't need much bigger than a 250 or 350, maybe Honda. I'm just hoping to possibly get on the highway. I'm not trying to pass a Bugatti Veyron.

Thanks for the links! Always appreciated.

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Ive had a costumer approach me about building a micro truck, I beleive a micro has to be under 700cc, under 1000 lbs, and under 11 ft long is this correct. comments or suggestions. maybe some links, perhaps. any info will help. Its not quite what we build but im interested regardless.

thanks, Rick

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,
Would some thing based on a golf cart work? Maybe a stretched frame with a box on it and a cab. I would guess it needs wipers etc if it's going to be on the road.

Steve.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Rick, IMO, in most jurisdictions, the number of wheels on the ground make a huge difference... A three wheeler is considered a motorcycle, 4 is considered an auto. ..and of course, autos are taxed at a much higher rate and subject to more regulations.

My personal favorite is the Piaggio Ape which I believe may be current production and available with a 50cc gas motor or a 200 or 400cc diesel. Somewhere I saw something aout a 125cc gas motor, also.
I have no definite information, but you should be able to track it down.
If they are no longer made in Europe, it's most likely they are also built in India, perhaps by Tata.

Google images will bring you a big head start on searching...
Good luck!
rc

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
What I was getting from him was: a 4 wheeled truck a bit of a cross between an ole model T and a jeep J10.with a wooden floored bed. Powered by a 82 xs650 yamaha utilizing the dash package, wiring harness, etc.. He also wants reverse as well a hi/lo gearbox

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That's interesting. Really looking forward to see what you come up with. The nice part is you build it and he is the one responsible to get it on the road legally.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,
That's pretty good. As we know most states are so wound up about keeping anything not factory made off the road that it's nut's.
I take it he has wire wheels in mind to match the model T look and feel. Can a wheel like the Honda 90 be cut open in the area where the axle goes to accept a bearing that a 3/4 inch axle will fit in? Maybe wheels like the ones that came off the bike he want to use would be better. At least they are sized for the motor.

Steve.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That's new to me (the Irish dune buggies) but I like the design a lot! What are the fans on the front wheels for? Are they simply spoked wheels that they weld fins to to make rigid wheels after truing them up? Why don't they have roll cages?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Trials driving is a low speed event, if you can roll one of these cars, you're in the wrong game. Irish dune buggy? I suppose you could take the mickey and call them that. They're used in rocky and/or slippery terrain around twisty courses with abrupt elevation changes. The engines are detuned so that they deliver everything at low rpm, and have big flywheels to avoid stalling.

The wheel spokes are probably one builder's pet theory about avoiding clag build up.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I saw a perfect starting point for a micro pickup yesterday, hadn't seen one for years. The Reliant Kitten. 700cc inline 4 car engine, steel chassis.

That's a complete Kitten at the top right.