My finished Felt 1903

GoldenMotor.com

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
so here it is...it took three months, and I couldn't have done it without HB Local and Clotho...thanks for the tips and tricks. Thanks to Creative engineering for the sweet clutch kit, and CW racing motors for balancing the crankshaft. The head and jug were lapped, and dowel pinned on two diagonal studs to the case for a tight fit (there is way too much play in those stud holes, enough to rattle and effect the timing), and I made a copper headgasket. I ported the intake and exhaust, myself, as well as fabbed all mounts. I mounted the CDI sideways so I could use the holes for the mount screws as cable routes for the clutch and throttle, which turned out pretty clean. The electrics will be in steel braded like the fuel line....no zip ties on this build! Unfortunately, it's pouring rain for the next five days or so, so I'll have to wait a bit for hte maiden voyage....can't wait to experience that balanced motor.

Attachments

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Looks great!

The rain must be driving you crazy. I know I would be going nuts.

That is a bike to be proud of for sure!

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Really nice J!!!

I can't wait to do a Felt. I've been wanting to do one up for a couple of months, but I've got new engines I'm working on so it will probably be another few months before I do a Felt project.

I really like the way the top tube can be sealed for a fuel tank. How much fuel does it hold?

P.S. Glad you liked your clutch kit.:D

Jim

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
The tank holds a bit less than a gallon...on the Felt steel tubed frames it's about half of that.
Thanks for the positive vibes everyone...my buddy and I started building our Felts at the same time, and his will be done soon...his is a vintage iron Husqy with the 3 speed hub with the jackshaft kit. I almost want to ride his more than mine! I'll post some pics of his when we finish her up...Any jackshaft kit tips Clotho? How about fitting the kit to the Creative Jim clutch kit, anyone? The housing sticks out a 1/4" past the stock one. Also, can the stock chaingaurd work with the jackshaft? I know we're gonna drill the stock chainring to the jackshaft bolt pattern so we can use it instead of the plain one that comes with the kit, but I think we'll have to notch out the top of the chaingaurd to make room for the drive chain.

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
Finally got a chance to go for a good ride today, and, oh mama, what a difference a balance crank makes. "balance" may be the wrong word, though, because what I did was I had the crank checked at a shop for concentricity, and they found that it was six thousandths off on one lobe and 3 on the other (normal for a two stoke is 2 thousandths). By torqueing on it with a press, they got it within 2 on both sides, but no grinding or drilling was done. This bike rides like honey now...the springer fork is plenty of cushion, and with the rubber-mounted motor, it feels like riding a nice moped or scooter. The last detail is to get one of those Pipelyne pipes fitted and she'll be ready for promnight, boys...I got her up to 38mph today, and she still hadn't taken all the throttle.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Finally got a chance to go for a good ride today, and, oh mama, what a difference a balance crank makes. "balance" may be the wrong word, though, because what I did was I had the crank checked at a shop for concentricity, and they found that it was six thousandths off on one lobe and 3 on the other (normal for a two stoke is 2 thousandths). By torqueing on it with a press, they got it within 2 on both sides, but no grinding or drilling was done. This bike rides like honey now...the springer fork is plenty of cushion, and with the rubber-mounted motor, it feels like riding a nice moped or scooter. The last detail is to get one of those Pipelyne pipes fitted and she'll be ready for promnight, boys...I got her up to 38mph today, and she still hadn't taken all the throttle.
I'm glad to see a few guys are starting to isolate thier engine mounts. It really makes a difference. Both your engine and bike will last a lot longer.

Jim

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
Just an update on the motor mounts....The rear studs snapped clean off at the engine case! Here's my theory...the front rubberized mount allows a bit too much jiggle, and all that vibration goes to the rear mount which is not rubberized, hence the studs snapped. I believe both mounts need to be flexible OR both need to be completely rigid...allowing one to flex without the other won't work. It's a bummer, too, because the ride was so smooth. I'm going to remove the rubber, and make both mounts rigid...I drilled out the old 6mm studs from the engine case, and tapped new, larger 1/4" threads to accept stainless, high grade threaded rod. The other problem I've run into is with the bike itself. Felt's rear cog is so offset to allow the chain to make it around the fat tires, that the spanner ring holding it on will give up and pop right off! I took it to a local Felt dealer, and they said that Felt will weld the cog onto a new driver so it will never come off...still waiting for the rear wheel, then I'll reassemble and ride it till it breaks again! That's what I love about these bikes...I can completely tear down and re-build the whole thing with a metric socket set, a tri-allen wrench, and a screwdriver.

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Rubberize BOTH mounts, one seems "no good". I noticed you rubberized the CDI, so why not that other engine mount?!
CDI doesnt need any...
Correct me if I am wrong.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
The best thing about this build is your awesome fuel tank,I actually have never seen this type of bike and the tank itself really intrigues me alot.

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
The rubber on the CDI is just to protect the paint....it has no vibration absorbing qualities...the piece of rubber on the front engine mount (see pics) is an inch thick before being compressed, and allows vibrations to disipate by enabling the motor to move independent of the frame. That movement is what killed the studs on the rear mount...

SemperKeith

May 9, 2009
Chico, CA
Hey HD,

sorry to hear about the drama with the motor mounts, I used a little different approach with you might find interesting at least, a plumbing part. Take a look at at the close up photo of the motor mount. semperkeith._om/keiths_pages/motorbike.htm

Because the stainless steel leak stopper has a rubber coating inside, I am probably getting a little bit of dampening, but not much. I was amazed how the motor smoothed out after 100 miles or so. I am nearly at 800 miles with the mount setup and so far, no issues. Good job on the 1903, I really wanted to do that model but could not find one at the time, Keith

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
Home-Made, I may be building one of these. Can you tell us how you sealed the tank and then installed the fuel filler neck and petcock and where you sourced those parts, thanks,

Brian

so here it is...it took three months, and I couldn't have done it without HB Local and Clotho...thanks for the tips and tricks. Thanks to Creative engineering for the sweet clutch kit, and CW racing motors for balancing the crankshaft. The head and jug were lapped, and dowel pinned on two diagonal studs to the case for a tight fit (there is way too much play in those stud holes, enough to rattle and effect the timing), and I made a copper headgasket. I ported the intake and exhaust, myself, as well as fabbed all mounts. I mounted the CDI sideways so I could use the holes for the mount screws as cable routes for the clutch and throttle, which turned out pretty clean. The electrics will be in steel braded like the fuel line....no zip ties on this build! Unfortunately, it's pouring rain for the next five days or so, so I'll have to wait a bit for hte maiden voyage....can't wait to experience that balanced motor.