ss wire o ring gasket, any one have tried this?

GoldenMotor.com

mech_engineer

Mar 3, 2014
Puerto Rico
I am new to 2 strokes, but i have been working with turbo cars for 6-7 years. We use cometic head gasket, but for racing aplications a friend run two ss wire oring without gasket for car with complete sealed block pasages. If i do this on my engine i can run it without a gasket. Any one have tried this. Is posible to have leak because the torque on the head is so low it do not create seal. In engineering terms less area to distribute the force more presure it generates in contact area this will help to create the seal. If it work no need to replace the gasket again.. any one have tried this? Or your opinion about this. I will upload pictures of ss wire o ring for those who dont know what is it.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
We ran copper o-ring for head gaskets when we were racing midgets, to be done right you have to cut a groove in the block for it to set in. We made our own tool for cutting the groove. The only reason to do this is extreme high compression like a China Girl could never handle so theres not a need for it. The aluminum gasket should be fine as long as both surfaces are flat and the head is torqued correctly and the studs aren't stretching.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We ran copper o-ring for head gaskets when we were racing midgets, to be done right you have to cut a groove in the block for it to set in. We made our own tool for cutting the groove. The only reason to do this is extreme high compression like a China Girl could never handle so theres not a need for it. The aluminum gasket should be fine as long as both surfaces are flat and the head is torqued correctly and the studs aren't stretching.
Ditto to everything Bill said.

You don't need to worry about a head gasket leaking if installed correctly. Lapping the gasket mating surfaces on both the head and cylinder is highly recommended and then the fasteners be torqued properly. 120 to 140 INCH pounds and you'll be good to go. Check the torque after a couple of heat/cool cycles.

Stainless steel is harder than the aluminum head and cylinder. It will not conform to any degree as a soft copper or aluminum gasket or 'O' ring will. A flat gasket surface is the most important issue, not the gasket material. As Bill said, the little Chinese 2 stroke will never need the overkill 'O' ring style of head sealing. Not enough compression to be concerned with.

Tom

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree. O-ringing a chinagirl would be like using a A-10 Warthog main cannon to punch holes in paperwork for a three ring binder.
Overkill.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Unperforated pie tins are my personal favorite when making head gaskets for these engines, I prefer apple... but I may be a traditionalist.

Special "limited time" offer, one free pie with every DIY head gasket kit!!1! ;)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I have to agree.. o ringing one of these is way overkill.. it is really easy to cut a groove in the cylinder deck and use a copper wire if you have a lathe or have access to one, which may be enough to justify doing this, but if you have to pay a machinist to do this it's hardly worth it... Like mentioned above, even a pie tin will make a good gasket for these.