What do you recommend for tires?

GoldenMotor.com

Spaz_head

Sep 1, 2010
Canada
Hey all

Sourcing parts for my BTR project.
What tires do you recommend? I like the Fat Franks (cream) 26"x2.35, but I'm not a fan of the Fat Frank logo on the side or the reflective stripe on the sidewall.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Dave

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run Kenda Kiniptions. they're 26x2.3 so they're wider. they have a rounded shape and have wrap-around, bead-to-bead tread. the rounded shape makes them look more motorcyle-y. and i use Plasti-dip spray paint to cover up the graphics.

[/IMG]

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
I just switched tires from fat franks to grand tycoons, i like them.. Got them on Ebay, two tires and two tubes..
Wasn't a big fan of the logos on the fats either so i used some matching paint to cover it up.. The reflective strip didnt bother me that much..

Pics of the Grand Tycoons..

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
grand tycoons are a cheap rip-off of the original 1960's-ish schwinn tires. they're just a cheap beach cruiser tire.

but, depending on the look you're after, they might work for you. just don't go too fast.

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
CST Cyclops 26 x 2.4 is a tremendous tire for the money. Since I introduced it in my area a few months ago, we have trouble keeping them in stock because the local pedicabbers buy them up. If you want a tire to look at, well... get one you like the look of. But if you want a tire to ride, the CST Cyclops is a really good one that my shop sells for $17.

This is a picture of the 20" size, but the 26" size looks the same:

If you want a tire that does not have a hot patch logo on the side, you are necessarily going to limit yourself to the lowest quality tires out there. That would be period-correct, but it would also be dumb.

Chalo

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I recently bought a pair of 2.125 cream colored electras through Amazon and like the looks of them for sure. I can't speak for their durability since they are new. I did appreciate that they came in a wheel sized box, not all folded up. An extra wide tire can create chain clearance problems. Anything wider on my Worksman NB build would have been too much I think.
SB

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
Well i couldnt find any faults on the Tycoons, seemed like any old bicycle tire, cheap knock offs maybe but im not worried that they should implode or anything..