Alternative fix for the rubber spoke liner that stretches into rim?

GoldenMotor.com

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
I ran without spoke liner (My friend gaveme my bike with 1, and I had not delt with bikes for years so I was like I think this is needed haha)

Anyways, 150~ or so miles w/no liner, it eventually ruptured. Now I'm running no slime (all was in the ruptured tube) and just tape over the spokes

the chief

Dec 9, 2012
chicago
combination of painters tape and duct on top, or just a couple layers of electrical tape works well on wider rims, doesn't slip off like the rubber strips.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i've used electrical tape on tons bikes for years. never had a flat from spokes popping through.

i use two wraps. cheap and easy.

one thing i always do is grind down any spoke ends that are sticking up past the nipple. if you run your finger over it and it's sharp, grind it till it's smooth.
+1 from me, same trick i learned lacing my own bmx wheels. but i tend to go overboard with the tape, 4-5 times around

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just lined a Worksman rim. I left the rubber liner on, and went around the bare spots with electrical tape. I'm in the process of building a 98cc bike, and I have some pretty tough mountain bike tires. I also just went out and bought brand new slime tubes. The last thing I want to worry about is getting a flat from my spokeheads ripping into my tubes.