We need a stronger rear wheel hub!

GoldenMotor.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Alright everybody:
I don't know about you all, but I'm experiencing some real problems with the Worksman wheel and it's Shimano E-110 coaster brake hub. A slow bike will probably do OK with this hub, but if you are going 40 MPH+ it is no good! NO GOOD!
Okay, so I weigh about 180 pounds, and I don't drive my bike on bad roads. Even with the Schwalbe balloon tire at 25 psi, it cannot protect the flimsy little 3/8" shaft from getting bent. A solution must come! Big Boy Bicycles in California offers two options. Their super duty hub sports a 3/4" axle, and it will fit standard 3/8" dropouts. The downside to this hub is that it costs $210.00.

I was originally thinking of making some extra strong 4340 alloy steel shafts for these hubs, but I have doubts that this will be adequate.

I will investigate the E-110 hub and try to come up with some kind of fix kit. If this is possible, the coaster brake would have to go.

I don't know, perhaps the best thing to do is make a totally new hub. Like Big Boy Bicycles super duty hub, I doubt that a hub I make will have a coaster brake either. No rear brake.... can people deal with that?

Basically, this seems like a tough little problem for those, like me who have a hard time shelling out 210 dollars for a good rear hub.

I need all the help and suggestions I can get for this one!

Thanks a lot.

-Fred

.trlrl.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've built hundreds of bikes with these (& Hi-Stop hubs), & I have NEVER had a problem with them. (& I weigh 210 lbs).
The only thing I recommend is adding extra grease to the inside of the hub to keep the brake smooth.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
agreed, I am still using my HD Husky coaster (HiStop hub) after 20k+ miles :)
I pack as much hi-temp bearing grease as I can fit, when I clean and repack (every5,000 miles) ;)

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Wow, you have built hundreds? That is a lot! I'm impressed. I'm sure I don't have a lack of grease in the hub. I've only been running this wheel for like 4 months or so. I'm very confident the lubrication is adequate because I have to make repairs very often and repack with plenty of fresh extreme pressure grease. The root problem is that the axle keeps getting bent. Maybe your roads are better than mine. You guys in California are blessed to not have to deal with Below freezing Winters, like here in New Hampshire. Norman, Don't most of your bikes operate in urban areas, where speeds usually don't exceed 40 MPH?
Out here in rural N.H. I like to travel fast, so I don't have cars passing me on narrow roads. I'm usually cruising at top speed which is now between 40-50 MPH. Until some kind of improvement is made, I'll either have to slow down at the first sign of bumps, or get a motorcycle.

.duh.

-Fred

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yes I've built hundreds of these bikes; Yes we usually ride at speeds around 40 MPH; Yes I weight more than you, & NO I don't have a problem with bending these axles. :)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I can relate to the potholes, there are hubs out there that are better...worksman has a rear drum brake hub but I think the axel is the same, next is the Roadmaster AMF Moped drum hub ( the narrowest of the moped hubs) and then your full blown moped drum brake hubs.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Maybe look into an axle made of stronger steel. All it is is threaded rod, if I remember it right. You should be able to find high grade threaded rod. Try mcmaster carr. You could make a hub with sealed cartridge bearings and disc brake flange. I think some people here have used the disc flange for both brakes and a sprocket. Or make an adapter like manic mechanic.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Yes I've built hundreds of these bikes; Yes we usually ride at speeds around 40 MPH; Yes I weight more than you, & NO I don't have a problem with bending these axles. :)
Okay Norm... Relax.
All this means is that your roads must be nice and smooth.
I detect a certain amount of disbelief that I'm bending axles. In the past 2 months I've managed to bend 3 axles. The first one broke. I can assure you that I'm putting things together correctly as well. I wish it was something I was doing wrong, so it would be easy to rectify.

-Fred

pino.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Maybe look into an axle made of stronger steel. All it is is threaded rod, if I remember it right. You should be able to find high grade threaded rod. Try mcmaster carr. You could make a hub with sealed cartridge bearings and disc brake flange. I think some people here have used the disc flange for both brakes and a sprocket. Or make an adapter like manic mechanic.
Young grease monkey:

Yes, making a stronger axle would be the easiest solution. Just one thing I would like to note; the stock axles are not too shabby. They are at least a medium carbon steel which is heat treated! I suspect that they are probably using a lower grade of steel, like 1030 - 1045. The deluxe steel I would choose would be 4340. This steel is alloyed with some more expensive materials, which is why I suspect they don't use it for the stock axles. But for all the trouble, an extra .$50 for the fancy alloy is a small price to pay. After threading the stock, I would heat treat it to about RC 35-45. This would be the strongest 3/8 axle I would be able to come up with, but would it hold up?
I'll check Mc Master Carr, and see if they have a really strong threaded rod.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

-Fred

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I apologize, but your comment of "I'm impressed" was very sarcastic... But anyways, lets not argue & lets try to figure out why you're having this trouble. :)

How much air pressure do you run in your tires? Maybe the rear dropouts on your frame are worn & are causing the axle to bend when properly tightened??? Maybe the dropouts aren't parallel to each other???

There has to be some mechanical reason why 3 axles in a row got bent? :confused:

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I was wondering about the dropouts myself. Maybe the rear of the frame flexes at the speeds you're getting up to.

It's hard to understand how the axle could bend when it's bolted solid between the dropouts, without bending the frame.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Oh wow!
You mistook my words!
I am extremely impressed with the fact that you have put together hundreds of bikes! That is a very serious number! I almost never use sarcasm, in fact, my wife calls me "literal man".

Also, I don't even have to mention some of the things related to engine performance you have experience with; Piston mods. & reed valves to name a few.

Even though I may have some decent technical expertise of my own, when you look at my limited motorized bicycle experience, I consider myself a greenhorn in this business.

Things are cool with me Norm, for sure!

-Fred

rmfla

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
I was wondering about the dropouts myself. Maybe the rear of the frame flexes at the speeds you're getting up to.

It's hard to understand how the axle could bend when it's bolted solid between the dropouts, without bending the frame.
Yeah, that's good Biknut!
I think Norm mentioned that too. I think you are on to something. The axle is tight in there, if it bends, the frame allowed it to do so! The dropouts are quite flimsy. That can't be helping things.

Well, apparently if you drive fast over bumps, it bends the rear axle. Okay, I can wrap my head around that; after all, it's only a little 3/8" diameter threaded rod, how strong can that be?

-Fred

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I would have to suspect you just aren't pumping your tires up enough.
I generally run at least 40 psi in my MB tires and use shocks (front, seat) to take out the road feel but considering an axle is bolted solid to the frame each side it would take one heck of a vertical force to bend an axle, and it can only get there with darn near direct blunt impact.

Just a thought but in all my builds and repairs I have only seen one bent axle and it was on a cheap Wally Huffy single speed coaster.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah, that's good Biknut!
I think Norm mentioned that too. I think you are on to something. The axle is tight in there, if it bends, the frame allowed it to do so! The dropouts are quite flimsy. That can't be helping things.

Well, apparently if you drive fast over bumps, it bends the rear axle. Okay, I can wrap my head around that; after all, it's only a little 3/8" diameter threaded rod, how strong can that be?

-Fred
After looking at pictures of your bike, I think the way your seat is mounted is contributing to the problem. Your rear seat supports could be the stressing the dropouts.

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
I'd like to offer a little "neutral" input from a typical bonehead....

I have always used Worksman wheels with Worksman hubs (Coaster rear, Drum front) on mine. Now that I am going with a GC160, I am told (Dan Orabano/Taylar Cycles) that I have no choice but to use a Puch moped drum hub with 5/8" axle.
The Worksman hub is not designed for the torque and speed that will be inflicted.

I tried to order one of Sportsman Pat's rear hubs but he doesnt sell them.

I found the hub I needed on ebay. They are hard to find. They are called Luleu or Leulu. They are 36 hole and can be laced on the Worksman wheel nicely (SEE PIC). Dan is ordering the Worksman wheels for my latest build today!

I can sympathize with our Brother from the East coast, I recently took out my '38 Whizzer and cooked the hub at 40MPH! Axle is fine, hub was wasted! It was designed for use on a bicycle and couldnt take the stress. The little baby axle is fine even though I'm a fat a**! (200lb)
California roads suck as much as any other state by the way :)
Kris

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
CRMAN
You bring up a good point. I have found bent axles in non motorized bicycles! Have no clue as to why.

When reading this thread today, recently located two "bicycleengines.com" hubs that was purchased a couple years ago. They have 2 sealed bearings on each side of hub, are threaded on right side for cassette or freewheel sprocket.

The left side of hub has an oversize LH thread for oversized freewheel adapter with 44 tooth sprocket- included.

Then left side of hub has an outer left side thread for the drum brake kit that comes with it and is RH thread. All of this for $49.99. Was looking at them a couple days ago, the axles are only 3/8 dia.

It should be easy to located replacement bearings with larger ID for heavier axles.

But again, the steel strength is paramont.

Should be easy to mound a disk brake system to the drum brake thread`s.

Was hoping to lace my workman trike rear 2" wide rims and HD spokes to these hubs.
The workman spokes may be short as the workman flange looks larger dia.

Have a 140cc Honda clone for the stretch cruiser. Bought a used Honda 160cc OH Cam engine, but it is too tall for my frame.

Ron

Last edited:

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
After looking at pictures of your bike, I think the way your seat is mounted is contributing to the problem. Your rear seat supports could be the stressing the dropouts.
Yeah, right on Biknut!
It's true, my seat is pushed farther back, putting more weight on the rear, plus there is a little lead acid scooter battery in that little compartment behind the seat, that's probably another 6-8 pounds. My bike is starting to get really fast; I think I'm just beating the crap out of my bike and it can't take it! Time for a moped with rear suspension!

Thanks for the input. I think you have honed right in on what's going on.

-Fred

r.ly.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Just curious Fred, where along the axle does it bend? I've been trying to visualize the loading on the part. A few things have been mentioned about the load from your seat and the possibility of inflating your tires to a higher pressure and I suppose those would be moderately easy fixes (or perhaps a fatter tire?). What I am most interested in is the desire for a harder steel. I've always been a little wary of using a harder material to fix a bending problem since you might actually be substituting with a more brittle material. I know you are a machinist by trade and know about "if it does bend it will break" rules of thumb so understand that I don't mean to be preaching. Just asking some questions and throwing out ideas. I did a search for the hub you mentioned for a service breakdown. I noticed that the axle is fully threaded as compared to some of the other axles on the market that are only partially threaded which is why I asked where the axles bend. Perhaps a partially threaded axle would help since a full thread effectively decreases the diameter of the part in the area where a thread is not required.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Yeah, Harold
You are right about hardness. You can go too far. I'm only going to go to about RC 38-45. That's pretty high, but will retain enough ductility. The main increase in strength will be from the alloy I use, which will be 4340. I doubt they made the axles with material of that quality, so it will be an improvement. The question is, will it be enough of an improvement.

Those balloon tires are a help. Right now, I'm using a Schwalbe "big apple" tire. I think it's a 2.35 wide tire. It alone has helped smooth the ride significantly. I have tried various tire pressures ranging from 30 psi to 50 psi. I like the ride 30 psi brings.

The axle seems to bend in the middle.
When I make replacement axles, I'll thread only as much as necessary, so to retain as much strength as possible.

I've been looking into these really fat tires that have been developed for people who like to ride bikes in the snow. I think they have tires up to about 4 inches wide! Most of the tires are knobby, but there is one street version; it's totally awesome!

You can check out some of these bikes. I think one guy calls his stuff "Dave's Fat Cycles" I have found extra wide rims to support these tires. To run these tires however, you must modify the frame. Even though there is a lot of custom work required to run this kind of tire, I think it is a really good solution for the lack of rear suspension most of us have to live with.

Thanks for the input. You are right on about over doing it with hardening things. I'll go to the edge, but not over it!

.duh.

-Fred