Felt Twin VS Sturmey Archer 90mm

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I pulled the trigger the other day on a leftover Felt Twin !! GRIN !! and am aquiring parts for the build. I really want a Sturmey 90mm drum laced into the front wheel but dont wanna buy the wrong thing. I'm looking closly at THIS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260982932290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Seems like a good price and all, but I want to make sure it will work. Details say "Hub space 100mm" and "Axle type 9X1" Can anyone translate this for a mechanical idiot? I KNOW I'll need shorter spokes... Thats a given; as the existing hub is 70mm; I'm OK with that. I just dont want to end up with another expensive part to re-purpose :)

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Dnt worry about about it, 100mm is the standard front spacing on most forks today and that other measurement is the size of the axle which is also a common size seen in most bikes today.
Dang i wish i would of seen this one before i bought my X-FD, the smaller 70mm brother :-||

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Errr. Quick question. SA 90mm brake and 26" Felt wheel 36 spokes but how long do they need to be??
That's a good question with a few factors involved. If you're lacing the wheel yourself you'll need to measure as accurately as possible using a certain cross pattern you have in mind. You can look elsewhere on the net and find this info regarding the ERD and the other factors involved.

Unless you are good at building wheels, you are best off taking it to someone who knows what they are doing. Just some good advice, especially if you don't have a decent truing stand.....

dnut

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Does anybody sell the drum brake already fully built into a wheel?
Looked at this for a year or so before I bought the hub and had the bike shop put it together for me for $40. Got the hub from Amazon with shipping for $72 from a bike shop in Salt Lake City.

http://www.huskybicycles.com/Mercha...=500-219&Category_Code=wheels&Product_Count=4

Originally...was quoted $100 a wheel if the shop was forced to use new parts. Fortunately...it was $40 a wheel since they did use my parts. Took them 3 weeks to get built. Personally...the shop has been great with parts...but will never let them rebuild another wheel for me again.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Good advice Scotto as always. I have neither trueing stand or clue :) I read in one of these threads someone put up a vert on Craigslist for wheels to be built and found a MB friendly retired bike guy that would do it cheap. Thus my search for correct length spokes. Think I'll try that route and take his (whoevers) advice on what to get.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Another thing to consider is there are machine built wheelsets (built by machines) and there are hand-built wheelsets that are normally built by skillfull human beings. From expirience and not being a competent wheel builder myself, I have found the good hand-built wheel to hold up longer than a machine built wheel overall.

That being said, I leave my HD wheel building to an expirienced full-time builder of wheels as wheel building is an art of it's own nature. I know the best components for the application and let the wheel builder figure and build them for me. It ain't cheap, but I ride with confidence knowing my wheels won't fail at speed with more power than bicycles are normally used. I also recommend large gauge spokes and heavy duty inner tubes for any motorized bicycle build.

dnut

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I cannot wait to hear what you think of the 90mm XL-FD, I am looking at the same one for my bike.

BTW, for future reference for anyone doing a search on these, you can get them a little cheaper through Amazon (from Niagara Cycle Works) $65.11 + $5.85 shipping

SA XL-FD from Amazon

SA XL-FD from Niagara
Same 1 I have. Plus...the specs will tell you it will not take 12 ga spokes...but that's what they put on mine.

You will love it when you get it in and roll on it. Well worth the cost...especially if you ride in wet conditions.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Not much chance for wet conditions out here for the next few months :) Got notice it shipped today so I should have it by the end of the week. I'll get er laced in next week and post up.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Not much chance for wet conditions out here for the next few months :)
Had to look at your location and understood. Used to live in Armpit City...across the river from Laughlin.

Got notice it shipped today so I should have it by the end of the week. I'll get er laced in next week and post up.
You will love it. The shop who did mine got the wheel balanced well enough that it spins for over a minute.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Armpit City? You mean Bullhead? Flying airmedical out of Lake Havasu years ago had a pilot, who when told we were launched to Bullhead City he replied " WELL: Bulhead's better than no head " .....Silence in the room..... Hangs / shakes head "Gosh that was bad" laff Didnt let him live it down for a month laff

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Armpit City? You mean Bullhead? Flying airmedical out of Lake Havasu years ago had a pilot, who when told we were launched to Bullhead City he replied " WELL: Bulhead's better than no head " .....Silence in the room..... Hangs / shakes head "Gosh that was bad" laff Didnt let him live it down for a month laff
Most any head is reasonable head except for maybe the goats head, isn't it? laff

I'm sorry, I lost my head for a minute....or three :D

And yes, the SA 90mm front drum brake works great on the motorized tandem and that's saying something....

dnut

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That's the place...only I wanted to use another part of the body around back and 2 foot down that's a major muscle. Other than that...reminds of the pickup line around there..."What a nice tooth you've got". laff

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
For anyone who's using any of the SA front drums...be very careful with the clip which holds your black brake arm in place. Since my fork is around 4 inches in diameter and the stock clip would not fit...I put two hose clamps together to hold the arm in place. Found out it was a BAD idea when the clamp broke in two and shattered my cable. Thank God it broke when I was riding out of my driveway in the apartment complex...so I was in no danger.

Did find a solution which cost me less than $1.50 at the auto parts store. Got a 1.25 inch muffler clamp which bolts right on and holds this arm tight. Unlike the hose clamps...you really need to be doing something stupid to break/destroy a muffler clamp.

A lot of people may be repulsed by the look of this...but I would rather have something which looks bad and have brakes rather than having a shattered cable and no brakes. When the job situation improves...will get some paint to match the color of the frame...but until then...big deal.