Hard Chrome A Pinion Gear?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Has anybody thought about getting a pinion gear hard chromed to see if it would make it last longer?

I put this question to the brain trust for consideration. What do you think of the idea?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
All you can do is try. Another thing I'm going to try is a multi-step process of sanding the gear smooth, chamfering the edges of the gears, polishing the gear on a cloth polisher. Next step will be to take the gear and get it Cryo-treated(actually most of the motors steel parts will be Cryo-d ) This aligns the molecules for strength. Then coat the gear with Techline Powerkote Dry-Film Lubricant. You can air-brush or paint it on with a foam brush. I'll be doing the back sprocket, too.

Get a hi-quality chain, American made if you can find it, and make sure of the alignment and you've done about all you can for a chain drive system.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I contacted a place that does industrial hard chroming. I showed them a pinion gear. They said they would only be able to flash chrome the gear. Any more than that and the chrome would probably chip off. That's what they told me.

I'm thinking that wouldn't be worth the trouble.