Suggestions for front brakes

GoldenMotor.com

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
Any ideas for a front brake system that won't involve switching out my stock fork & fenders, or my front wheel?

I could have sworn I've seen brakes that are wide and wrap around the front fender.

I feel a bit macho saying this, but after a close call today I need some more stopping power other than my foot brake & sneakers...

Attachments

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
Thanks Scotto, I never thought of mounting from the fork legs as opposed to the pre drilled hole in the center of the fork that now houses my headlight.

Helpful photos, thank you!

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
I think scotto- has the best option as far as braking power, but you'll have to get V-brake set and this adapter plate from Dan's Comp. See scotto-'s thread for more details: http://motorbicycling.com/f53/v-brake-added-rear-24897.html

Or, you can get a set of side-pull caliper brakes and have caliper brakes on both front and rear wheels. I have this setup on my Nel Lusso and it's great. Just ordered parts to put the same setup on my wife's work-in-progress Monark.

The calipers are about 1/3 the price of the v-brakes and adapters, but the v-brakes will be more effective.

If you chose to do both front and rear brakes with either either style, I highly recommend a dual-pull brake handle so you can actuate both brakes with one hand. My setup is one hand for throttle and brakes, one hand for clutch...

I'd put rim brakes on both wheels and leave the coaster too - your Indian build is way too pretty to wreck over poor brakes!

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
C'mon Norm, as we know....."Good parts aren't cheap and cheap parts aren't good!" But they will do the trick ;) You know I'm j/k laff.
I know... but his very first line asks - "Any ideas for a front brake system that won't involve switching out my stock fork & fenders, or my front wheel?"
So that didn't leave much else! :rolleyes:
You know I'm all about the disc brakes! ;) :)

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
You may get even more ideas if this thread was moved to the Wheels Brakes and Suspension forum. More people may see it there. Just a thought....

Jim

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You may get even more ideas if this thread was moved to the Wheels Brakes and Suspension forum. More people may see it there. Just a thought....

Jim
Agreed & done, please feel free to PM if ya disagree or ever wish a thread moved ;)

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Derekian
How does that possibly work?
To me that method of extending the brake arms just doesn't look right.
How can you transfer the energy to the brake shoes with that crazy offset in there?
You are gonna bend that contraption and twist those brake shoes right into the rim and flip yourself over the bars.
Maybe I'm the eternal pessimist but I've been a mechanic forever and know something dangerous when I see it....... I see it.
You might reconsider that set up
I hope I'm wrong..
TIM

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I like the first pic of the silver adapter ,Question,would the adapter resist flexting more if it was mounted behind the fork so that the fork suported it when applying the brakes?

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
I do appreciate your concern Tim, it seems my contraption works just fine though. I actually just got back from a nice ride across town. Sorry to disappoint, but no flipping over the handle bars.

I wasn't aware that Nickel plated steel was an inferior material??

I build bikes to ride & enjoy, not to pass your mechanics code.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I like the first pic of the silver adapter ,Question,would the adapter resist flexting more if it was mounted behind the fork so that the fork suported it when applying the brakes?
You can put it on either side of your forks, seatstays or chainstays.....it's 3/16" steel and it really doesn't flex. On the rear I've got it mounted on top of the chainstay which would be the same effect as on the backside of the forks.

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
Thanks stuff - got the tank from ebay, it's a 70's Indian MX tank. Search "Indian gas tank" and some are sure to be on there. This one is a full size, not the smaller mini-bike tank.

The seat is from triple7 bikes in Monrovia, ca.

Hope this helps!