High Performance Dellorto carb found!

GoldenMotor.com

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
510 - what jet size comes stock with the SHA carb?
Oooohh.. VERY good question.

Didnt even think to pull the float bowl and look.

***Goes to pull carb apart***

The main jet that came with this one is a 70. What did your generic come with?

I'll need to get an assortment of jets to try once I get the tuned pipe on my bike. Tuning will be an adventure in and of itself. :)

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
70 I think as well. I will confirm tomorrow.

I ordered a 60,65, 75 and 80. Just for fun, when I ordered the air cleaner and stuff. I was tempted to get the $15 tuning manual but didn't pull the trigger.

Are you 100% sure the screw on yours is for mixture? Mine is only slider height.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
70 I think as well. I will confirm tomorrow.

I ordered a 60,65, 75 and 80. Just for fun, when I ordered the air cleaner and stuff. I was tempted to get the $15 tuning manual but didn't pull the trigger.

Are you 100% sure the screw on yours is for mixture? Mine is only slider height.
Not 100% sure on the screw. I will pull it out of the carb and look at the end of it and the internals of the carb it interfaces with to figure out what it does.

This flat-slide carb type is a newer technology.. The 2 stroke tuning guide I bought off Amazon which was written in the 90s doesnt even cover it in the carburation section of the book.

The tuning manual from dellortodirect, I found is ONLY for the cylindrical slide carbs Dellorto makes.. It does not cover the flat slide carb at all.

tonight, I'll see if I can find a tuning guide that covers the specifics of flat slide carbs. There's got to be a book out there somewhere on them.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ

SHA Carburetor Parts [SHA Parts] - $0.00 : Dellorto Carburetors, And parts for you.

In that parts breakdown, they label that particular screw (#41) as "Mixture Screw". The spring (#40) is labelled "Mixture screw spring"

I'll take mine apart and see what it is exactly. Pretty easy to tell if its a metering screw (ie mixture) due to the sharp point and fine machining on them.

One other really cool thing about these carbs over the stock HT carb, is that these carbs have a built-in fuel filter (item #15 in the pic above), so theres really no need for an additional filter.

Last edited:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
For what it is worth, I ended up with a 85 jet in my 18mm Mikuni, on my 48cc. I was wondering the same thing on the screw Datz, it is listed on their site as " mixture screw" but if it were the air screw then it looks like the only idle adjustment would be thru the cable. #43 is also listed as a "mixture screw". The flat side carbs on motorcycles I have had provide for a "sharper" throttle response. I dont believe there would be much difference between tuning a round slide versus a flat slide...

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Took a closer look at my SHA carb and yes, that screw DOES run the plate up and down, thus would just be an idle adjustment screw. Definitely mis-labeled on the Dellorto site. My fault for not checking it before answering a few pages back. I'll go back and edit my prior posts to correct the info.

Ok.. I'll take a good look at the tuning guide Dellorto sent me and see what info it provides. Might be a few useful tables I can scan in and post up if anyone is interested.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
In the tuning guide, there is some useful information on proper choke selection. The SHA carb, you can change out the choke to match the engine's choke requirements. There is a nice table, but is more oriented to higher hp output engines.

I'll scan it in and post it up.

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Here's the tuning guide. Managed to get it into a PDF format. It is about 10 megs. Has some good info on tuning tapered-needle carbs like the stock on the HT motors:

Right click and "Save As" for viewing locally
Dellorto Manual

If the admins have any problems with me posting this info up, please delete this post.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Nope, no needle. I took mine apart and looks like the atomizer has 2 holes in it. Bottom hole is for midrange. Top hole is for full throttle. There is a hole drilled in the carb housing at the bottom of the slide for idle fuel metering. If you had to, you could drill out the lower hole on the brass atomizer to richen up mid range. On these SHA carbs, the atomizer does not appear to be removable or replaceable.

You could move up to an upper model carb with replaceable atomizer if you need that level of tuning.

We'll see how this one performs first. Should be a lot better than stock carb at least. If it comes down to a need to get midrange tunability, then we'll look for another small carb that will fit (either a Walbro, Mikuni, or higher model Dellorto would work), but then you are into the big $$$. At $60, this little SHA looks to be a nice affordable performance carb.

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008
Has anyone tried the lever controled carb from Dellorto? I don't have anymore room on my handlebars for another lever?

SHA 16.16 Lever Choke [D0-2151] - $63.18 : Dellorto Carburetors, And parts for you.

Also I see that either one pictured is a generic one or the one that datz150 has pictured looks different..........The cable mount is pointing up with the one pictured, The one here on the forum is going to the side?

I might have look into getting one of these.......! For right now I am just changing the plug and wire to start!

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Oohhh.. my bad. Mine is the cable choke. You are right.. the lever choke only has the one throttle cable going into it. I dunno what I was thinking when I posted up earlier. I corrected my post above.

The cool thing about the lever controlled choke is that you set it and then when you give it full throttle, it unchokes automatically. Pablo has one like this.

Last edited:

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
Dellorto SHA's didn't work with me because they lack a pin to meter fuel properly so it can't be adjusted. The only adjustment that can be made is to change the jet size. I tried 5 from 0.50 to 0.80mm with no luck.

Also these carbys weigh a ton and after a bit of testing it bent my inlet studs!

I am currently testing a Dellorto PHBG replica which has a pin-clip design. I almost have it tuned right and its a ripper!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Dellorto SHA's didn't work with me because they lack a pin to meter fuel properly so it can't be adjusted. The only adjustment that can be made is to change the jet size. I tried 5 from 0.50 to 0.80mm with no luck.

Also these carbys weigh a ton and after a bit of testing it bent my inlet studs!

I am currently testing a Dellorto PHBG replica which has a pin-clip design. I almost have it tuned right and its a ripper!
Oh, I didn't know you tried down that small. I guess my goose is cooked.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I'll let everyone know how it works on mine.

From what I understand, one can drill the lower orifice to fine tune midrange once the upper rpm range is set. Then use the idle screw to set idle mixture. I'll see what I can do with mine.

If this carb is too much trouble, I'll try the PHBG as well. I'm hoping I can get this one to work, as even it is a super tight fit in my frame.

RLorange, what is the size comparison between the SHA and PHBG?

Last edited:

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
My PHBG is 19mm which is pushing it being too big, it fits around the outside of the stock manifolds. The pin taper and where the pin is set appears to be a bit off, looks like I need to lower the pin beyond the leanest notch. I have it very close to working with a TINY 0.50mm jet but I may need to enlarge it a bit. Incidentally Mopeds which have similar spec engines use 0.50-0.55mm jets in Dellorto's

I really wanted a smaller PHGB say 15 or even 17.5 but they don' seem to make knock-off replicas smaller than 19mm. My replica is bloody well made and cost only $40.

I am using a squash ball with cutaways for my air filter. When I get it tuned I'll post my settings.