Death Race classes

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
another thing i was thinking about...

it'd be cool if some sort of "dragstrip" could be set up as a side event. just go straight, flat out, with an official time. that could be a means to shut up the BS'ers, and give other people bragging rights for top speeds. :)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I was taking into consideration the whizzers and larger HF and Lifan 4-strokes. Or they don't count?
I totally forgot about those guys... You could put them all in one class, or put them in 'outlaw' or with the 49cc 4-strokes (IF their laps times are all close enough to make it fair??)

when i used to race Solo2 and Autocross races in my '75 Honda Civic, it was always a "work/run" event. everyone had to work the course for another class, setting up knocked down cones, being a flagman, radioman, etc...
That's something I forget to mention about the R/C racing... EVERYONE who races MUST help out on the track with the other races! (If they don't help? they won't be allowed to race!)

Maybe you guys could look into borrowing a transponder system from a local R/C club?
The system keeps track of everyone in the race by counting & timing every lap of every racer. It's a pretty simple system that plugs into a standard laptop.
The transponders are about the size of a pager & can be taped to the bikes. (But i'm not sure how low to the ground it must be mounted on the bike for them to be read by the computer???)

Also... I think Bairds idea of a timed 'drag strip' as a side event is a GREAT IDEA!!!

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Or just to simplify things, besides a drag race, unless the classes would be too large, run three classes:

2-stroke
4-stroke
Electrics

I don't mind at all helping out with the races...as long as I get to race. Like Bairdco, I will be there rain or shine!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Or just to simplify things, besides a drag race, unless the classes would be too large, run three classes:

2-stroke
4-stroke
Electrics

I don't mind at all helping out with the races...as long as I get to race. Like Bairdco, I will be there rain or shine!
I really think you should consider having a outlaw (unlimited) class for the big HP guys! ;)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I am starting to think to lets just try a 2-stroke, 4-stroke, E-class & Unlimited class for now. We can run the unlimited and E-class together since I think it will be a very small field of riders. Possible even run the 4-smokers, E-bikes and unlimited together since the 49-66cc 2-smokers will be the largest class.

And just be clear, when I say lets run the smallest classes together, does not mean they will be one class. They will still be racing for the class that they are in, they will just share the track with another class to save time. But I know the E-bike guys want very short races due to limited battery life. So that may create a problem.

Give that a try see how it goes then the next DR we can tweak it if need be. I say lets start small and easy and then work our way up.

Biggest problem I am seeing is getting everyone to agree, might be easier to nominate a few guys/gals and let them decide and what they say goes...

Dogman

Apr 22, 2010
Las Cruces NM, USA
For now a consolation main event might be fun. That way there would be a fast bike main event, and a slower one.

Might have to resort to a number on each bike and more people spotting who is fast, to make sure a fast guy doesn't sneak into the slow event.

Anyway, it would be fun for the guys with more stock stuff to have a main event of thier own.

So far, a few electric bikes are interested in next year. I'll be back a lot faster, but not so fast you need to worry. Others with battery money I expect may crash. It's easier said than done to do that track 30 mph in the corners. There is some talk of planning an electric only race in the next year, with world wide competition.

Any rumblings of a fall race in Tucson this year?

Dogman

Apr 22, 2010
Las Cruces NM, USA
Thinking some more overnight, in 2010 we had 3 heat races. Most of the really fast guys jumped on the first heat, so as to have more time to fix anything that might break.

Perhaps next year one of the three heats could be run as a class race for the slower bikes, guys riding just for grins, etc. And encourage the ones trying to get into the DR to race in the first two heats.

That way it fits into the same amount of time. If a few slower electric bikes should show up to race in a 1000 watt class, they could use that heat for their " private race within a race".

It should be possible to cram a few more heats in there in the time alloted too, if they are very short, like 5 laps. Particualrly if some help is organized to help the flagman. The problem though, is everybody wants to run, not run the race.

Track time is a huge issue, it's not cheap at all!

Dogman

Apr 22, 2010
Las Cruces NM, USA
Let the word out if there is. I have built a new bike just for the track. I have enough good batteries to be fast for a few laps, but maybe not enough for a whole race. Be fun to chase ya for awhile till I run out.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
David, let's plan on having a race in october that's not on halloween. I have a two year old girl that needs to go get me some candy. I know a lot of others missed last year because of kids and such