Giant Stiletto

GoldenMotor.com

StonyCDizzle

Jul 5, 2009
Dayton OH
Ok, so i just happened to stumble onto a Giant Stiletto Blue for $150 on craigslist in near perfect condition.

I bought it without hesitation. now i am trying to figure out a way to mount an engine on it. i am planing on getting the typical 66cc kit. but my question lies upon the jack-shaft.

Is it possible to connect the engine directly to the jack-shaft? this would save major modifications to the brake system. it has a rear disc mounted on the side opposite the cassette. the cassette is a 14 -34 tooth shimano mega range. i believe 34 tooth should be sufficient to tote me around town considering the area i am in is mainly flat with mild slopes and no serious hills.
here is some specs in case you are not familiar with the bike itself.
Rear Mech Shimano Altus
Shifters SRAM MRX 7 speed
Rims Double walled aluminum
Hubs Aluminum
Cassette 14-34 Shimano Mega Range

Any input on this would be great. and yes i searched the forums. only one stiletto listing in here and it's for the 50cc atv engine

Last edited:
Reactions: zing

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
I have the same bike x2 and have motorized them both. I used another bicycle cut up and welded to make the motor mount. It is pretty complicated but it runs well. I uses 4 chains and it has the SBP shifter kit installed. You will love the bike and the ride. here is a pic of my setup.

I call my bike the Phoenix, it has been resurrected 3 times from frame breakage and being hit by a car. Check out the link to see my build of the first phoenix and history, and i will be doing a second write up of the second phoenix, the pic is attached.

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/rise-phoenix-15196.html

Attachments

StonyCDizzle

Jul 5, 2009
Dayton OH
Holy crap that is a bizarre looking set up you got there. i am looking to go with a typical mounting for the engine, and possibly run it off the jackshaft. the only issue i see with that is the fact that going off the jack-shaft will cause the engine to turn the pedals also which would not only be a pain in the butt, it could also present a safety issue. so short of removing the read disc brakes i am running out of options.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
You can get a replacement jackshaft from Staton, Inc. It will completly replace the current jackshaft and add a 20 tooth sprocket to the left side, with freewheels on both the left and right side, so your pedals will not turn with the drivetrain. This will allow you to keep that rear disk, which is vital to your safety.

Here is the setup, the price is for the jackshaft, gearbox and engine. if you call Staton he will sell the parts indivudually.

Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

Last edited:

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
No its nothard the pedal, at all. With the jackshaft from Staton, when you turn the pedals, only the gears on the right side move. so thats only two chains moving , not 3.

On my setup, i constantly have 4 chains moving. you can feel the drag. but its not too bad. this bike is almost awkard stock to pedal. once you put an engine on this, you will pedal it most 200 feet. And thats attempts to start the engine.

OHHHH YEAH i forgo one major thing i forgot to say. The reason my setup is do complicated is so that i can start the engine with the pedals. If you use Statons, jackshaft without modification you will need to install a pull start on the engine.

StonyCDizzle

Jul 5, 2009
Dayton OH
HseLoMein, thank you much for the link!!! saved me alot of wait and headache.

I think i will just need the jack-shaft from them though. i'm not fond of the big 4-stroke engine sticking out the side of the bike. i like it inside the frame like the 2-stroke 66/80cc engines. i want it to have as much a natural motorcycle look as i can get. i will be getting probably a sportster tank to put on it. likely just a small one like the 883 sportster. or maybe go with the style tank the Captain America bike had in Easy Rider. i am actually thinking i might do A Captain America theme, all the way down to the two tiered high back seat, sissy bar, and 24" or longer ape hangers.

That Bike caught my eye the first time i seen the movie, and i told myself then, if i ever own a chopper it will be a Captain America replica. why not start on a small scale and dream big? lol

Last edited:

AdmiralCurtis

Oct 18, 2009
Citrus Heights, California
Hey Stony, just wanted to give you an idea that I used for my Giant Stiletto. It uses the current jack shaft, and lets you shift for a smoother ride, also letting you use both front and rear brakes(which I think is very important). I ended up rebuilding most of the jack shaft itself, 1 inch socket can fit perfectly(almost) on the axle itself, a little sanding made it snug. Most, if not all, standard gears will fit on the 1 inch socket. Using a 20 tooth on the drive side, with a 13(solid) and 20(freewheel) on the pedal side, you can pedal with the clutch in, and when the engine engages, it will not push your feet. Also, bit of welding experience helps, or a neighbor with a welder.

If you are interested in more information, toss me an email.

.trk

Attachments

StonyCDizzle

Jul 5, 2009
Dayton OH
indeed it is. AdmiralCurtis, from what you describe, and from you pics it would seam as though you built what Stanton Inc sells minus the freewheel 20 tooth on the motor side, which kills 2 birds with 1 stone! saves money on both having to buy a pull start, and will be a lot cheaper than $75 to fab myself. ++!

like the 1 in 2 out baffle! that would help with my exhaust design. I am going with a double up to fishtail tips! This is the theme i am going with for this bike. double tiered seat, and sissy bar included!

Minus the chrome frame of course, that I'll either got metallic silver, or just keep it matte black

nice mounting setup you have going on there. definitely positions the engine quite nicely in the frame, though your welding skills leave something to be desired! LOL .weld

Another thing, Is that front disc on your stiletto aftermarket? mine has the mount but the hub is not right to mount one.

AdmiralCurtis

Oct 18, 2009
Citrus Heights, California
I had to have my front wheel special ordered/made, was about 70 bucks. My bike shop didn't have any of my size in stock with a disk brake attachment; and yep, aftermarket brakes on front. But I gotta tell ya, brushing against the exhaust is not fun when walking the bike, definitely need a heat shield. (Leg is a bit tender in one spot due to touching it so many times).

And definitely going to need pics of your bike when its done, the sissy bar is a nifty idea.

Last edited:

StonyCDizzle

Jul 5, 2009
Dayton OH
Ok, i have spent some time on craigslist looking for options for the tank i'll use. and so far only 2 options i have found that i think would look decent with the theme.

Here is option 1 Harley sportster tank. 3.3gal EFI tank

And her is option 2 Custom Peanut tank 2.5gal

Opinions?

StonyCDizzle

Jul 5, 2009
Dayton OH
Well, the build has been at a dead stand still due to lack of funds. had alot of school shopping and other expenses holding me back.

But i am glad to say i will be getting the engine friday. it is already mounted on a bike, and i am a bit skeptical on the price but i am going friday to test ride the bike, and make sure it is in good running condition.

It is a Grubee GT5 66/80cc black finish, after market exhaust, 2 extra clutches, 1 extra magneto, 2 extra coil packs, the factory exhaust, and an extra rear sprocket. it's currently mounted on a ten speed (model unknown) and the asking price is $250. i think i either got really lucky, or this guy is trying to take me for a ride. we'll find out friday!

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
Sorry if this is innappropriate...

I am selling my Stiletto.

I live in Eastern NC, travel to DC / Balt twice a month.. can bring with me.

if anybody is interested, it is only EBAY.. I won't post link direct, but you can find it..8 days left

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That is a really cool bike. Complicated setup indeed o_O. There is something that looks like an electric motor, is that your alternator? Looks like fun! :D

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
@LS614

Thanks, yes i use the electric motor as the alternator, it takes a bit of power, but its an acceptable loss of power, and it will keep me inline with the laws in AZ (20 MPH max)

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
pic of my stiletto motor mount from a couple of years ago. It can be adjusted forward for jackshaft chain tension. Also the top motor mount plate is mounted with bushings to the lower plate to reduce vibration. It has worked great without any problems. I still ride the bike today. Of course it has had many upgrades through time(as in all available) The jackshaft is easily converted with parts from Staton Inc. or other suppliers. This bike has the speed most of the people on this forum have a tendency to not believe. I read something about electric lights. 2 inch round LED red trailer marker light for a tail light. 6v. bulb in a chrome headlight housing all running of the white wire. Simple

Attachments

Last edited:

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Excuse me Masterm222, the jackshaft off staton-inc, the dicta freewheel on the left side driven by the output sprocket of the gearbox, is that strong enough and/or is there room on the left side to install a white industry freewheel or a shimano one speed or ACS freewheel with three pawls of engagement? Why is that not easy-off type and the right side the easy-off type? Thankyou Masterm222, I know it's the twenty questions, thanks again. David Staton once told me that on a new black top very smooth and level he did 56mph and there was still something left in the throtle to do more.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I have 2 Stilettos that I bought new in the box from a dealer that was going out of business.
I like the idea of the jack shaft so I bought one of David Staton's Subaru kits. The seat sits right on top of the engine and was the most uncomfortable bike seat I have ever sat on. I reworked and installed a Harley MC bobber seat with shocks. It really sets the bike up nice. I was wondering if any body else has this set up? Or have had any problems with the 7 speed shifting? I'm putting the finishing touches on this bike and what is holding me up is trying to find a hub for the front wheel that I can install a disc brake. There are several bike shops around here and none of them want to touch it or deal with it. I could use some help on this.
On the second bike, I'm looking to put a Pitt bike motor on it, this is a whole different ball game and I will probably have a lot of questions when I get into this one.
Any help I can get will be deeply appreciated.
buzzard