light sugjestions?

GoldenMotor.com

mikeread

May 29, 2010
kansas city, MO
I need to have lights for my future bike to be streat legal.
I don't want to pay more than $50-$75. I need a head light break light and blinkers.
Any sugjestions or websites that have what I am looking for?

Thank you!

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
well you could go to walmart and buy the fog driving lights and get you self a motorcycle baterry thats what i did for mine and trust me people can see me from far away as far as know for blinkers and brake i have not got that far yet but the people that built my trike might be able to help you with that their web site is usabikemotors.com their number is 520-777-0924

Marcosis

May 9, 2010
Reno NV
I have seen a moped kit with everything you were looking for somewhere in the forum. I forgot just where but it had a battery and used a frame mounted generator to make power It would be a slick setup but I am positive that it would be around $200.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I have created a way to run lights off of my cell phone and they last me about 7 hrs before I have to charge the battery.....

I recently started testing a couple of LED flashlights instead of regular bulbs...will let you all know how they work.

I also have made these.....BIKE LIGHT 500 Lumen "Mt.Bike" for under 10 bucks by Veggiecycle And they work very well.

And I am using this on another bike too, and it only cost me around $25.00....

HT 6v Charging System w/- ground - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum

as far as turn signals you can check this out...http://compare.ebay.com/like/360264736741?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypesI am interested in getting one for myself.

If you have any questions just ask. I will help out as much as I can.

mikeread

May 29, 2010
kansas city, MO
I think I am going to get that bike turn signal and mod it to make the lights further apart.

City of angels, how do you charge you battey? Do you just use a car battery charger?

mikeread

May 29, 2010
kansas city, MO
I think I am going to get that bike turn signal and mod it to make the lights further apart.

City of angels, how do you charge you battey? Do you just use a car battery charger?

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Here is a pic. & description of how the 6V system works....

The white wire “feed” goes through the diode and then into the electrical system positive pole. The diode acts like a one way valve. Current cannot flow back through the diode so the only two possible places for the white wire current to flow is either into the battery or into the lights.

In the simple system, any excess current is burned up in the battery. In the zener system there is a third possible destination for white wire current. Any excess white wire current is burned off in the power resistor. Here is an explanation of current flow in the zener system.

motor off, lights off
– No current flows.

motor off, lights on – Current flows from the battery to the lights.

motor running, lights off, battery fully charged – When white wire voltage is below the battery voltage, no current flows. When the white wire voltage rises above 6.8v, current is shunted through the power resistor.

motor running, lights off, battery below full – When the white wire voltage rises above the battery voltage, current flows into the battery to charge it.

motor running, lights on – Current flows from the battery to the lights. All white wire current flows to the lights. The white wire only flows current when it produces a voltage that is higher than the battery voltage.

A 35w bulb might be optimum for lighting up the road. But I too am going to look for a better compromise. My 6v generator headlight is just adequate so I still want to try an LED bulb of similar wattage. From reading other posts, the maximum wattage available from the white wire is about 5w. In my tests, I got considerably less. Even at the optimistic 5w maximum, the 35w light would require 7 hours of daylight driving for every hour of night driving. And you would need at least a 6ah battery to run the light for 1 hour continuously. The system could charge almost any size 6v lead acid battery but I think 6 to 8ah is about the practical limit.

I hope this explains it. If you have other questions let me know.

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Get a cordless drill battery and charger,there cheap,then you can buy any 12v car lights, accesories,or horn that you want,and they have turn signal blinker thingys,and for the brake light you can use a push button on your brake handle so when you apply brakes the brake light will light.