Cargo strech combo

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Has anyone made a sort of streached cargo bike? I was thinking about a cargo bike for trails, and i
got the idea fora streached cargo bike

input??

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Just an idea,,,,on the long tail in #2 I a think a straight brace from the front of the cargo rack curve too the main frame close to the bottom braket (one or both sides )that is a long thin support,,,looks good though

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
hey elmo how did your stretch mtb work out for you in the handling and manuvering also what did you do to build it any info on it would be helpful because i plan on building my own soon but i'm still researching my options. cflg xct2

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
It Handles about the same as a regular bike except the rear brake is not as effective as it was before. That is to be expected when you are effectively riding a tandem length bike with only the captain on board, more weight on the front less on the rear. It still stops very quickly with the v-brakes though. A tourist on a bicycle pulled out in front of me (i was doing 28 mph) and I made a panic stop and stopped about 2 feet from her. Very wide eyes when she finally saw me. I can make a slow speed u-turn in a one lane road. I haven't tried any fancy stuff with it though.
Basically I used two very similar cheap mountain bikes. I cut one into behind the seat post and the other in front of the seatpost keeping the seatposts attached on both. Then I just took 2 pieces of heavy wall square tubing and joined the bottom brackets together and used a salvaged tube from another bike for the top tube. Most people think it is a tandem when they first see it but it is not as long as a real tandem. I have a pretty detailed account of the building in the diy motorized bike section http://motorbicycling.com/f36/finishing-greyhound-build-12738.html .
Hope this helps.

Last edited: