Anyone use a pocket bike motor?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Here's another one, sounds like it has a home made shift kit. YouTube - 49cc Mountain Bike. Pocket Bike Crazy, Top Speed ,3 Speed 80+km

Can't you just buy a staton chain drive and mount up the pocketbike motor to it?
The aircooled pocketbike engine takes a standard 76mm clutch, so will bolt onto all aftermarket drive systems.

Unsure if the watercooled pocketbike engine shares the same clutch configuration. If it doesn't, then custom work needed.

Ixct2 put my money on the GP460 engine.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I use a gp 460 4.2 hp stock.
With a tuned pipe around six hp and still uses 91 octane

This engine will last a while your pocketbike engine wont last.
The pocket bike engines have too small ports to reach 15000 plus rpm like a piped gp 460 can.

The bb88xx is a link to Daves Discount motors.
bb88xx
I've had three 460 engines, in various forms of power. Two of them hooked up to friction drive, which was a waste of time and money. Even with the tuned pipe, these engines are dogs if you can't keep it in its narrow powerband. Hit a steep hill and you're dead.

Now I'm using it with a shift kit and Happy Time expansion pipe. It's the PERFECT match.

It is the ULTIMATE power setup, and gas mileage and noise level isn't that bad!

dance1

Caus-I-Can

Sep 15, 2008
Yes I have used the standard 49cc pocket bike engine.. have mounted it on a modified dual suspension mountain bike/bmx. as ur post mentions it has 6 teeth at the front and a 72 tooth sprocket on the the rear wheel which i have attached to a BMX twenty inch hub (diamond back aluminimum) i actually removed three spokes from the hub to attach the sprocket. made mywn exhaust pipe using pit bike components ( has increased the compression)- it works great! i also added a
high performance head and cyclinder kit.. it has a top spead of around 55kmph at the moment, i am using the generic carborator that was supplied currently the motor will rev out quite imprressively ( but does sound like its starving and wants more). am looking for a buzz so am thinking add a beter/sligtly large carb.
also i have an aluminmum whipped cream cannister ( 1 lt) that takes nitrious Oxide was thinking of adding this as well!! DSCF0023.JPG any way i think they are great motors the last a while as long as you dont burn out the bearing seals from to high a compression or using fuel with know oil

any way if the photo doesnt turn out let me know

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am a big fan of full sus type bikes. Nice job! Looks like yo had fun with that one and pulled it off well..bld.(^)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yes I have used the standard 49cc pocket bike engine.. have mounted it on a modified dual suspension mountain bike/bmx. as ur post mentions it has 6 teeth at the front and a 72 tooth sprocket on the the rear wheel which i have attached to a BMX twenty inch hub (diamond back aluminimum) i actually removed three spokes from the hub to attach the sprocket. made mywn exhaust pipe using pit bike components ( has increased the compression)- it works great! i also added a
high performance head and cyclinder kit.. it has a top spead of around 55kmph at the moment, i am using the generic carborator that was supplied currently the motor will rev out quite imprressively ( but does sound like its starving and wants more). am looking for a buzz so am thinking add a beter/sligtly large carb.
also i have an aluminmum whipped cream cannister ( 1 lt) that takes nitrious Oxide was thinking of adding this as well!! View attachment 34229 any way i think they are great motors the last a while as long as you dont burn out the bearing seals from to high a compression or using fuel with know oil

any way if the photo doesnt turn out let me know
What size chain are you using? 8mm?

Your bike will perform better with more gearing. With 6t/72t sprockets, you have 12:1 gears. If you add a 5:1 transmission and change sprockets to 10t/36t, you'll end up with 18:1 gearing and better take off and acceleration...without nitrous.

Just something to think about.xct2

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
55kmph? This is either a weird typo, Or around warp factor 2. :)
Highly possible, since 56kph = 35mph.
My 460 can cruise all day at this speed.
64kph = 40mph, can do, with ease. Top speed is faster than I would like to find out.
84kph = 52.5mph, top speed on my friend Rick's 460 engine w/NuVinci hub.xct2

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Hi,
I just ordered a 51cc, stage 2, Pocketbike engine & am planning on putting it either on a front or rear rack. I'll stick to my tried & true v-belt drivetrain. The front pulley is 1.375" & the wheel pulley is 25". once I get it & install it, I'll post some pics & opinions...
-Lowracer-

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I've had three 460 engines, in various forms of power. Two of them hooked up to friction drive, which was a waste of time and money. Even with the tuned pipe, these engines are dogs if you can't keep it in its narrow powerband. Hit a steep hill and you're dead.

Now I'm using it with a shift kit and Happy Time expansion pipe. It's the PERFECT match.

It is the ULTIMATE power setup, and gas mileage and noise level isn't that bad!

dance1
do you have a camera? pictures please...