Where can i ride in the great state of Ohio?

GoldenMotor.com

wilson1963

Dec 26, 2009
Lowell
New to this and doing some homework for Ohio laws regarding a homemade motorized bicycle and making them street legal.... Reading this section makes me think this is a possibility. Lawriter has this to offer under Chapter 4501-23 Motorized Bicycles-Equipment and Testing;

4501-23-19 Assembly by person other than manufacturer.
Nothing in these rules and regulations shall prohibit a person other than a manufacturer from constructing, assembling, or equipping a vehicle so as to conform to the specifications of a motorized bicycle. Such person shall, however, comply with all of the rules contained in Chapter 4501-23 of the Administrative Code to the same extent as is necessary of a manufacturer.

R.C. 119.032 review dates: 09/12/2006 and 03/09/2011

Promulgated Under: 119.03

Statutory Authority: R.C. 4511.521

Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4511.521

Prior Effective Dates: 4/1/78

Making your own ride requires you to have it inspected by the DMV for certification and registration.

Last edited:

Strong-Heart

Mar 22, 2011
Butler County, Ohio
I've done a fair amount of research on this and according to the Digest Of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws, motorized bicycle kits are illegal, no exceptions.

Ohio law does not distinguish motor-assisted bicycles from mopeds, they are the same to them.

Definition of a Motorized Bicycle
Section 4511.01H of the Ohio Revised Code defines a motorized bicycle as
any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is
capable of being pedaled and is also equipped with a helper motor. The law specifies
that the helper must:
- Have a piston displacement of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.
- Produce no more than one-brake horsepower.
- Propel the vehicle to a maximum speed of no greater than 20 mph on a
level surface.

Any motor-driven or motor-assisted cycle which exceeds any of these limitations is legally a motorcycle and is subject to all vehicle registrations and operator licensing requirements that apply to full-sized motorcycles.
In addition to the requirements listed above, all motorized bicycles must be
approved by the director of the Ohio Department of Public Safety as meeting
the basic equipment standards.

That is all fine, but here's the real problem...

A vehicle does not become a motorized bicycle until the Department of Public Safety includes that vehicle on its approved list. For a copy of the list of all makes and models approved for sale in Ohio as a moped.

From another OBMV source:

Just because something looks like a moped, that doesn't guarantee it is one in the eyes of the law. Only the Ohio Department of Public Safety can certify which vehicles meet state standards. You should not accept anyone else's statement that a vehicle is a moped.
APPROVED MODELS

In the case of manufacturers who market more than one model, only models listed below are approved by the State of Ohio. Only vehicles on this list may legally be operated as "mopeds" in Ohio.

AMF "Roadmaster"
Aspes
Balboa (Sach's)
Baretta Model 49cc
Batavus
Benelli "Blazar"
Bermuda 147F
Bermuda 147FA
Califfo
Carabella "Motomatic" 49cc only
Cimatti "City-Bike"
Clinton 50-A
Columbia "Commuter"
Columbia "Imperial"
Columbia "Medallion 2271"
Columbia "Medallion 2281"
Columbia "Model 57062"
Columbia "Model 2251"
Columbia "Model 2241"
Columbia "Motrek"
Columbia "Western Flyer"
Com Ute
Concord "XKE"
Cosmo "Blazar I"
Cosmo "Blazar II"
Cosmo "Colt I"
Cosmo "Colt II"
Derbi "C-5 Diablo"
Derbi "Laguna Sport"
Derbi "RD-50"
Derbi"S/L"
Derbi "S/L/E"
Derbi "T/T"
Eagle "1"
Eagle "3"
F. Morini
Flandria 101
Flandria 102
Gadabout
Garelli "Basic"
Garelli "Rally SL"
Garelli "Rally Sport"
Garelli "Sport"
Garelli "Super Sport"
General 5-Star
General 5-Star (Ltd. Ed)
General 5-Star ST (Min. Eng.)
General 5-Star ST (Sach's Eng.)
Hercules "P-1"
Hercules "M-4"
Honda "Hobbit"
Honda PA 50
Indian AM 1-50
Intramotor "Blanco"
Intramotor "Pinto"
Intramotor "Scout"
Italvelo
J.C. Penney "Pinto"
J.C. Penney "Swinger"
Jagar Model EB-1Z4-BA
Jawa "Automatic 120"
Jawa"120"
Jawa "210"
Jawa "210 Sport"
Jawa "Supreme 2"
Jawa Transistor 40
Jawa "X20"
Jawa "X25"
KKM Interprises, Inc. "Mopet"
Kreidler MP-9 (Flory)
Kreidler MP-19
Lambretta Eagle
Lazer Sport 50
Lem
Majestic Auto LTD. "Ankur"
Majestic Auto LTD. "Pacer"
Majestic Auto LTD. "Panther"
Malagutti "Commuter 20"
Malanca "Roxi"
Malanca "Tiger"
Marina Mobilia "Motomarina"
Monto "Autopower"
Monto "Kobra"
Monto "Mont"
Monto "Super Sport"
Motobecane
Moto Guzzi "Robin"
Motron "Medalist"
Negrini "Gazelle"
Negrini "Harvard"
Negrini "MX Sport"
Odyssey
Peugeot103L2U1
Peugeot103LSU1
Prima (Sach's)
Puch "Astro Daimler"
Puch "Astro Daimler Two-Speed"
Puch "Beta"
Puch "Cobra"
Puch "Dart"
Puch Magnum "II"
Puch Magnum "Limited LTD"
Puch Magnum "MK II"
Puch Magnum "XK"
Puch "Maxi"
Puch "Maxi II"
Puch "Maxi GN"
Puch "Maxi Luxe"
Puch "Maxi N"
Puch "Maxi Plus"
Puch "Maxi S"
Puch "Maxi Sport"
Puch "Maxi Sport LS"
Puch "Maxi Sport LS 2-speed"
Puch "Mini Maxi"
Puch "Newport"
Puch "Newport II"
Puch "Newport L"
Puch "Nostalgia"
Puch"Sport I"
Puch "Sport MKII"
Sach "Carrier I"
Sach "Carrier II"
Sach"Feugo"
Sach "G-3"
Sach "G-4"
Sach "Minor"
Sach "Mopet"
Sach "Saxy"
Sears "Free Spirit Moped
(Nos. 80800, 80810,80840)
Seville (Sach's)
Solex
Suburban (Sach's)
Sundancer (Sach's)
Tomos "A3SL"
Tomos "A-3 Bullet"
Tomos "A-3 Bullet TT"
Tomos "A-3 Golden Bullet"
Tomos "A-3 Golden Bullet TT-LX"
Tomos "Silver Bullet SL"
Trac "Blitz"
Trac "Clipper"
Trac "Eagle"
Trac "Hawk"
Trac "Olympic"
Trac "Sprint"
Vespa "Bravo"
Vespa "Ciao"
Vespa"Grande"
Vespa "Sl"
Wards Model 57008
Westlake (Sach's)
Wildfire WF-20MB
Wildfire WF-24MB
Wildfire WF-26MB

So even if you were able to put a headlight, mirror, turn signals, brake light, etc on it, unless your motorized bicycle is an actual moped manufactured of one of the exact makes/models shown above with a commercial manufacturer VIN number, you cannot apply for registration and a motorized bicycle license plate. Only the approved makes/models shown above are allowed on Ohio roads.

sources:
ODPS | BMV | Page Not Found
Moped Information
This is some good information and I too was able to find some of it at Ohio Department of Public Safety

My question may be ignorant but its only because some of the legal jargan went over my head. Lets say I dont want to be considered a moped or motor scooter or motorcycle. All I have to do is NOT have the Ohio Public Safety office say "It is" through their inspection process.

So if my bike (with a small motor) isnt technically inspected or registered...ect. by the authorities... Then am I legally, just another bicycle ?

Many of the roads where I live do not have shoulders. Though this doesnt keep people from jogging on them. A bicycle may not be noticed for short distances but 8-10 miles may bring the attention of every cop. whether you're trying to be safe or not.

JmE

Dec 29, 2010
Ohio
I will go back and read the whole thread after posting, however, be forewarned that I haven't yet.

All of what I write is only my opinion and is given to the best of my knowledge and ability.

My question may be ignorant but its only because some of the legal jargan went over my head. Lets say I dont want to be considered a moped or motor scooter or motorcycle. All I have to do is NOT have the Ohio Public Safety office say "It is" through their inspection process.
AFAIK, in Ohio, there is no in between. If it is a bicycle and it has an internal combustion motor then it is either a motorcycle or a moped (motorized bicycle).

If the bike is not on the official moped list then it will likely be considered a motorcycle if you get pulled over. So, one would essentially be looking at the same violations as if one were to drive a motorcycle on the road and not register it. There may be violations related to not having a title for the "motorcycle" as well. There are also charges related to operating a motorcycle without a license, no insurance (F.R.A.), etc. Theoretically, they could really pile citations/charges on.

So if my bike (with a small motor) isnt technically inspected or registered...ect. by the authorities... Then am I legally, just another bicycle ?
If it isn't on the official moped list (and if it is, it can't be modified beyond the motorized bicycle/moped limits) then it is considered a motorcycle in Ohio. There is no middle ground of which I'm aware.

It is the same as if one were to modify a moped beyond the limits of the ORC's definition of a moped. It could then be classified as a motorcycle for citations and criminal charges!

Many of the roads where I live do not have shoulders. Though this doesnt keep people from jogging on them. A bicycle may not be noticed for short distances but 8-10 miles may bring the attention of every cop. whether you're trying to be safe or not.
Even off road vehicles (with some exceptions like snowmobiles and agricultural use) have titles and registration now in Ohio. So, even using a motorized bicycle on the shoulder of the road like off road motorcycles can under some circumstances would place the motorized bicycle as a motorcycle being operated without a title, registration, or motorcycle license.

The whole situation with MBs sucks in Ohio, IMHO. :-||

JmE

Dec 29, 2010
Ohio
I wanted to add that the Ohio Digest of Motor Vehicle laws is a good place to start but one *really* must check the Ohio Revised Code to solidify any decisions.

Some of the things in these digests, including the Concealed Carry Digest, can be misleading in their paraphrasing. A really good example related to motor vehicles is the Odometer Tampering warnings. Intent is spelled out clearly in the ORC but the digests and website read like things are absolute!

Official Ohio Revised Code with link to OAC