what are the laws for motor bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I think the laws for these MB's are different in every state. They fall in a GRAY area here in Iowa. They are a bicycle, but since they have an motor they are considered a motorized vehicle. Since they dont have a registration and can't be licenced (State can't make money on them) they consider them illegal to ride on the street.
That being said, I have four of them and ride everyday when the weather permits. If I see a cop I just hit the kill switch and pedal till they are passed. I suppose one of these days I will run on to a real prick that will pull me over.

John

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In Ohio, they are not legal period and can't be made legal.
Period.

They can be festooned with lights, horn, ect. and they can not be registered in Ohio because they are not on the "approved" list.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
go to dmv and ask them,if they say yes,
then put the stuff on your bike that you need and take the test.
if they say no,ride anyway.if you get pulled over tell the cop that dmv says you dont need to reg it or have a license to ride it.

Last edited:

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
Yep different in every state. California it's really easy to register them, of course getting a motor shipped can a problem. Here it's registered, M2 license, dot helmet, horn, head light/tail light, grey area is mirror, brake light and turn signals "CHP requires them". So I assume you need the last three to drive on highways, seeing they aren't allowed on freeways and it's the only other place the chp patrols. DMV says mostly the same thing but they kind of contradict themselves, by saying you can't drive on a highway after telling you what you would need to drive on the highway.

I have everything on mine and wear a DOT helmet. I think the more street legal you make it, the less likely you'll get sited if a cop pulls you over.

Last edited: