cone lock nuts

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
What size cone wrenches does it take on the standard bikes, Cranbrook, Schwinn etc. I am thinking the front is 13mm and rear 15mm Going for some wrenches , the thin ones lol gphil

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I believe 15mm is the correct size, I made my own by taking an old 9/16" open end wrench and grinding it thinner and using my 4 1/2' angle grinder to make the opening the correct size, for me that was a great re-purposing of the old wore out 9/16" wrench.

But yeah, I think 15mm is the right one for the standard bike wheels.

I'll measure mine for sure and post back here to confirm if 15mm is correct or not

map

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Now that I think of it got me one of those old 9/16 wrenches out there. May do what you did, got the grinders. Thanks , gphil

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Now that I think of it got me one of those old 9/16 wrenches out there. May do what you did, got the grinders. Thanks , gphil
You're welcome, I had thought about buying a wrench several times in the past but just figured why not just make one from another old wore out wrench, I have all the tools needed to do it so why not save those extra $'s for other stuff.
dance1

map

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
there are 3 sizes of metric that are common for these - a cheap metric set of wrenches can be had at the 99cent store - grind them thin

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Got it so get a set . . . . . Probably the best thing. Thanks those things are critical , just a small amount of tightening needed and easy to over do. gphil