Self tensioning rear wheel (almost)

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I wanted to make my kickstand mount flush on my frame. I used the Dremmel to cut away one of each of the tabs on the kickstand bracket, leaving the smaller of the two. When I installed it, the tabs fit snugly into the voids in my frame, tensioning the wheel rearward. I had to shave the one you see in the pic slightly for the correct fit. The other side still needs slight tensioning when you tighten it all up (hence the 'almost').
This works great! Really easy to get the wheel and chains right quickly. I didn't realize what a pain it was before having this.
Hopefully someone else can benefit from my happy accident!

Attachments

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Update. The drive chain was so perfectly aligned, I was too happy to think about it rubbing my tire at speed. Now I will re-fit the kickstand bracket to allow for my tire to shift slightly forward on that side, moving it over, and clearing the chain.

Attachments

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Excuse me for being dense (which I am btw), but what you mean is that the kickstand allows you to not need to put your axle bolts all the way to the end of the dropouts? And when your chain loosens, you just move the axle bolt up?

Eh?

And another question, how's that drum brake thing working? Because a disc setup is iffy for me I am looking at coaster brakes or drum in the future as I despise rim brakes (rim wear).
Are you happy with that brake?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Well, the tab on the left side of the kickstand bracket fits in the frame, and that happens to be just right for tensioning the engine chain. The other tab does not fit in the same way (as to tension). I put the chains on the wheel, slide the axle into the dropouts, put the kickstand on the axle, insert the tabs into the frame, tension and tighten the right side nut, then tighten the left side nut.
As far as the band brake, that's all I had for awhile, and it does sorta stop you. I put a caliper brake up front, and it now does almost all the stopping. If I adjust the band to stop as effectively as the caliper, the drag is unbelievable. I'm seriously considering removing it to see if I could then move the drive gear away from the hub for chain clearance. I checked into this brake when I first got my bike and the general mood was positive, but it's not very impressive in use. If I could get that inch in the hub, I'd like to put a fatter tire on. My buddy who is a full on downhiller swears by disc brakes.
I don't know if that will help...

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
It would certainly stop the axle from coming off it it was loose and you came on to the throttle, so that part I get.
In my opinion, there has to be a way to convert diagonal dropouts into horizontal ones, if I had a welder, I would do things like that.

Thanks for your drum brake opinion, seems like coaster brakes it is then, until I get a frame with disc brake fittings and a way to keep my 44 tooth sprocket and not going lesser teeth for it to work.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I believe mine are called horizontal- they are in fact, horizontal. Makes sense, the nuts get loose, the axle is pushed rearward by the motion of the bike, keeping it on. Hopefully! I have seen some pics here where members have welded on tabs to create horizontal slots.
There's alot I need welded too. Going to have to get a welder eventually.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Update. The drive chain was so perfectly aligned, I was too happy to think about it rubbing my tire at speed. Now I will re-fit the kickstand bracket to allow for my tire to shift slightly forward on that side, moving it over, and clearing the chain.
Trey,
Keep in mind that if you angle the rear wheel to get chain clearance to the tire you'll ruin that perfect chain alignment from sprocket to sprocket. Ideally the sprockets, drive and driven, should each lay flush with a straightedge laid against them. Angling either one will eventually cause chain problems, wear and possible derailment.
I'd look for a better way to get the chain away from the tire.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I agree Tom. I've been getting about 2mm extra clearance this way, and it looks to be very close to aligned with the drive gear. This has been a concern of mine since I got the cruiser- barely clearing the tire, and not having that chain as perfect as possible. Do you think removing the band brake will allow me to move the gear out on the hub?