Caliper Brakes

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Ordered a caliper front/rear brake kit from one of the advertisers here and a problem has come up. I prior had reinforced the front bracket for the fender and the mount bolt for the caliper is too short. I figured just put a longer bolt but it appears the bolt has a pressed portion on it holding one side of the caliper. Can that be forced off and new bolt put in or not? The unit will work on the back I think, but really wanted it up front. I am not really sure it will fit even if I removed the fender which I do not want. The bike is a Cranny from Walmart and the brake caliper is from Piston Bikes. Now the part itself is great no frowning on the supplier ,its just the old modification devil rearing its head. A few suggestions or another brake. Thanks for the help here and I will be watching. G :-||

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
re: Caliper Brakes

On some forks you need to put the nut on the back of the fork, and for others you can manage to put the nut under the steering tube if the threaded rod on the brake is too short.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
re: Caliper Brakes

Rohmell, thanks for that info. Never crossed my mind to go up into the tube. The bolt on the caliper will not clear the fork out the back . I will do it your way and then maybe put a short bolt in the back to hold the fender brace. If not ,welding is in order. Thanks once more. G