Please Tell Me I'm Not Crazy

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
If this is a dumb post just say so and tell me where to find what I'm looking for! A few months ago, ebay had lighting coils that fit into the stock china girls. They claimed to make as much as 12.5 volts. They were 50-80 bucks (my memory is vague). First of all, was this all a scam? Second, why can I not find them anymore?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Actually I do remember reading about that and looked up the ebay ad. It was out of my budget range (most things are) and I didn't really have the need. Since it is gone now, my guess is that something came back to haunt the seller... maybe they failed after a time and he lost his shirt replacing them. Don't know, but if it had been a winner in all likelihood you would have no problem finding it on ebay or with google. Maybe something personal happened, don't know.
SB

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
They were very poorly made and rarely worked. I have a feeling they only worked if you got lucky and had an exceptionally powerful mag to begin with. The unit I'd gotten ahold of would kill my ignition unless I grounded the power lead to the case. Upon disassembly I found that they were made out of stacked pieces of galvanized sheet metal (ductwork material) that had been cut out with tin snips, they were very poorly wound (lots of nicks in the insulation and wound unevenly) and the whole thing was held together with masking tape instead of welding the stator plates together.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I am in need of 12V source now as well but I don't want to try to put it in the engine, it has a jackshaft attached, anyone have any luck with a hub or tire generator?
And what about a 12V battery? I am thinking a Ni(whatever) pack.