St. Louis Ride and Swap Meet

GoldenMotor.com

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Sunday July 26, 2009 12:00 Forest Park upper Muny parking lot

Please plan on attending the first ever (and hopefully annual)
Motorized Bike Ride of St. Louisr.ly.
This is a every low key and disorganized get together for those of us that enjoy building and riding motorized bikes. Friction drive, center mount, push, home made or electric, all are welcome. Please bring along all the bits and pieces that you have lying around your garage, as that useless paperweight you have may be the pivotal part of another’s project.
The ride’s route is yet to be determined. The present plan is to pick a mutually agreeable destination to grab a burger and adult beverage for those of us over 21. Speaking of which, this hobby brings in all age groups. If you enjoy riding or tinkering with motorized bikes, you are invited to attend. Helmets are highly recommended..bf.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Thanks to all that made it. We had a great turn out for a first ever event. Ten bikes and fourteen folks plus a couple pedal folks that stopped by after seeing it on craigslist that I think may be converts.

I missed a few folks because I showed up about an hour late due to mechanical problems (what?) from my Saturday afternoon ride. I was faced with a tough discussion, show up on time bikeless or late with a working bike. I went for late. My rear tire, probably original to my craigslist 10 year old bike, developed a bulge on the sidewall while out on a ride. The bulge grew to comic book size and started hitting the drive chain which put side stress on my homemade spring loaded chain tensioner till it exploded. So I spent Sunday morning replacing the tires and trying to see if I could build a tensioner with what I had lying around. The rushed fix looked alright but didn’t really work. My bike didn’t log a half a mile on the parking lot. So, I was late and bikeless. Ha. I went Monday and bought a half-link for my 41 Granger chain and have joined the tensioner free club.

Everybody had a good time and we will be doing it again soon. The best comment came from Jeff, a long time Harley rider, who said that this was better than a Harley Rally because at those nobody talks to each other and everybody stands around trying to look like a bad ass.

*For anybody out there thinking “I wish someone would do that in my city.” I saw a fantastic bit of advice concerning that very problem. YOU DO IT! I took that advice and it works! Spend an hour searching your city and state on this and other forums, another sending out emails, a post on Craislist and TADA! You have an event.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
sounds realy cool... i'm looking to do a rally/meet for IL.so any little bit of wisdom helps.
seem to have two basic ideas for the event : a daylight rally over say 6 to 8 hours, or an overnight at a campground or farm. both have up's and down's .
if people are coming from 75-80 mls away a daylight meet is cool ,but it's a 100+mls for most.
any thoughts would be appericated.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Prussian- I’d start small with just notifying anyone that looks like they might be nearby. Just pick a time and place and see who shows. Trade emails and numbers with the group and your second one will be even bigger. I’d bounce your ideas off of your new friends and I bet that you can squeeze in 2 or 3 rallies before it gets to cold.
r.ly.

"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris