HT chinagirl reed valve

GoldenMotor.com

SchwinnStingray

Apr 1, 2014
Australia
I have been told I need a reed valve to improve performance.
My understanding is there are two basic types of 2 stroke, one needs them and the other does not use them.

Is it just upselling or would the old HT really see gains from fitting a reed valve with no other modifications )porting, piston holes etc)?

auflg

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'm working on two reed valve engines at the moment,
However, without other modifications you are likely only to see slightly better throttle response and improvement in the low to mid with a decrease in top end.
Which reed are you considering?
Where did you get the motor?
Who told you need a reed?
To get the most from your reed valve you will want to increase inlet duration.

Last edited:

SchwinnStingray

Apr 1, 2014
Australia
RSE, they advised me directly.

So mild improvements?
Would I feel $70 worth of improvements over how it runs now, it does bog down on hills, would this help pull me up?
I could maybe sacrifice a small amount of top end for hill climbing.

Dragonfly have a big write up that you will actually you will get a 22% loss without other mods.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
What part of OZ are you from?
What is your inlet stud spacing, 40mm or 32mm?
RSE has 2 sized reeds, the smaller one looks a little small to me.
I'm working on a motor with the larger RSE reed, but have not finished it yet so can not give any honest appraisal as yet.
One concern with the RSE reed is the angle it leaves the carb on, as the standard carb manifold has tilt built in.
I have numerous other mods to the motor including holes in the piston to increase inlet duration.
Do you have an RSE motor?

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
What type of bike you thinking of putting it on?
Just seems to me to leave the carb at a bit of an angle with most frames, may not be a problem.
I'm going to run a 16mm barrel carb on mine, as they don't mind how they sit.
Increasing compression may help give you better torque.
Don't think I'd bother with a reed unless your willing to increase inlet duration.

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
the piston ports are awesome . w the correct pipe. the only draw back is thet wont make 9-16 hp w a pipe thats half the size of ur bike.

try cruising on the pipe making 10hp in second or third gear when u only need 2.5 hp....

im looking for long skinny pipes for my reed kit as im building a city and country ninja. not a muscle bike anymore.

Last edited:

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
and the pp shut down below 2000 rpm. i can say for sure put 6 months on ur piston port and enjoy w it can do!
the grass is allways greener nextdoor :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
sub66 you should study the porting of trials bike engines. They are all about low end and midrange, just what you need in a bike motor. Maybe consider adding some crank weight to get more flywheel effect.