Best aftermarket Spark plug, CDI and Magneto

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
Hi everyone,

I believe I need a new CDI and/or Magneto because my engine does not start and I have no spark. My engine is a chinese ebay 48cc. What is the best magneto, CDI and aftermarket spark plug I can get for this engine. Could you please provide a link if you can.

NOTE: My spark plug works but I just want a better one for added performance and quality.

Thank you in advance

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm confused. First you say you "have no spark" then you say "my spark plug works".

Before you start changing parts you'd be better off determining what isn't working. There are ways to check both the magneto and the CDI with a good ohm meter.
You also want to make sure your ignition wiring is correct and, if you are using it, that kit spark plug boot isn't the source of your problems.

Tom

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Here's a no start guide that might help guide you through your issue:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

***I am not sure what size spark plug your 48cc engine uses. The older 48cc engines used a different size***

Sometimes it's as simple as a sticking kill switch that causes a no start condition. Not knowing your mechanical abilities, I am going to suggest that you make sure the spark plug electrode is touching the engine block when testing for spark or you may damage the CDI unit.

Here's a video that shows you how to testfor spark at approximately 1:00 minute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJFyDYIkElI

Video also shows how to test your electrical system.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
Sorry I wan't more clear, but what I meant was that I am certain that my spark plug works but it is not producing a spark because the CDI and/or the Magneto are not working. I will be testing those components tommorrow. Also I disconnected my kill switch and it still does not start or produce a spark.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Check where the wires attach to the magneto. These connections are notorious for having poor quality "cold" solder joints and will benefit from re-soldering.
Also make sure that the white wire is not contacting anything or it will rob the magneto of all the energy that should be going to the CDI box. Alot of folks simply cut the white wire off completely.
Also, the factory spark plug cap is garbage. They provide a poor electrical connection to the spark plug and are known for falling apart while you are riding down the road.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have two 48cc engines and both run well on NGK b6hs or the extended tip bp6hs, if you need a higher heat range the 5 will do, if you need colder 7 will work. It all depends on what the plug looks like as far as color. I like a lot of people that have been riding for awhile keep spare parts on hand, I have a couple of mag coils, cdi's and carbs. The newest cdi came without a white wire, I haven't tried it yet but will on the next bike I build.

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
Hi everyone,

Sorry I didnt answer to your posts I was holiday but I have puchased the NGK-B6HS and took of the end cap and put it in my spark lead. Tried starting ad nothing. So I have ruled out the spark plug. Then I went to the magneto, I cut off the white wire and still nothing, then I tried turning the magneto around in the motor and still nothing. So I am going to get a new magneto. I looked at one on Bike berry but it was $45 postage to Australia and I had no other choices for postage. So I wasnt to get that. Can someone tell me where I get a magneto in Australia that isnt a cheap ebay one.

Thank you in advance

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Lachie, I havn't actually tried either of Dino's new mag or Cdi, however I am a member of his forum, and have been watching progress, the 'Moster Mag' has only been availiable for about a week, and long awaited, apparently it gives a much bigger spark.
The Cdi is also reported to give a much bigger spark than standard, it does not alter timing or give auto retard like some aftermarket Cdi's but does come with a quality lead and cap. Dino has a very good warranty policy on anything he sells.
But you probably only really need the Mag.

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
Thanks alot for the support, I will definetely be getting that Magneto and if my problem still isn't fixed I will then be getting that CDI.

Once again,
Thank you