Using a DYNO generator for lighting

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hi all , was wondering what your take is on using a dyno for lighting on a motorised push bike
The issue I have is in general you ride a normal bike at say 15-20 kph so the dyno produces enough voltage to light up the front rear lights , whereas a motorised would go 40 kph , now would this produce to much voltage and essentially blow the globes
As well would it cause vibration and mis balance or wear on the tyre.

I ask because I love retro ,and as such have found a great retro dyno kit I would love to fit to my cruizer but don't want to spend the dollars to see it fail from over speed
Here's a pic of the unit I'm looking at
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've never heard of a wheel driven generator lasting long under motor abuse. Too fast.
Maybe you could make some kind of high-voltage cutout or protector to keep it from overspeeding?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I wonder if you could install a bigger contact wheel to slow down the rotational speed?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Use a belt drive alternator with a cvt pulley to adjust speed according to load while riding....?

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Henshooter, I am running a front wheel hub that kept blowing bulbs till I made a charger to charge the battery while running the lights at a constant voltage. Check out my thread located HERE.