CDI horror story. Help please...

GoldenMotor.com

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
I'm not new to forums. didn't find a thread on this.

basically I am new to motorized bikes, bought my kit from gas bike.net if that's any help.

haven't had the bike running for about a month now, but all parts are properly installed and the bike is sitting in my garage. never ridden once, and I really need it asap .

my brother and I ordered these two kits and both of our CDIs will not work. they have NO charge whatsoever, and I've used a multimeter set to 2k of course. nothing. the magneto reads fine however, 320 ohms.

I ordered a new CDI from bike Berry that came yesterday and of course, just as I expected, its broken. no charge on cdi.

does the CDi take an initial charge from the magneto or does it come with an initial charge? please help because I don't think I'll have the patience to buy yet another cdi that will just come faulty already. I tried contacting both parties but they are not helpful and very rude to me. all I need is an electrical spark. I replaced the spark plug with an NGK BH5S. gapped to 26 thousandths(.026). please please please help.

p.s. thinking of getting the jaguar cdi caus moneys not an issue, but it will be if its just wasted on a problematic cdi junk item that will probably ship poorly treated with many damages, and probably no customer service or support in the end anyway.

I also helped set up my friends kit he ALSO ordered from gas bike.net and yet again no CDI charge! ugh. this is disgustingly disappointing and annoying. his magneto gave a charge but not the CDI...what's going on...do motorized bikes really exist or is this CDI made out of ethereal material I can only see because of my imagination...it really feels hopeless at this point.

:-||

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
There is no inherent charge within a cdi box.
Current is generated by the magneto.

Disconnect your killswitch wire until you have the bike running well.
Many accounts of problems with them.

it seems as though you might be over-thinking this situation.
These are very, very simple machines, meant to run under almost all circumstances.
Set that multi-meter aside for a while.

In addition to disconnecting that kill wire, frequently the sparkplug wire is bad. Many owners replace it with something from the auto parts store.

Good luck
rc

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
There is no inherent charge within a cdi box.
Current is generated by the magneto.

Disconnect your killswitch wire until you have the bike running well.
Many accounts of problems with them.

it seems as though you might be over-thinking this situation.
These are very, very simple machines, meant to run under almost all circumstances.
Set that multi-meter aside for a while.

In addition to disconnecting that kill wire, frequently the sparkplug wire is bad. Many owners replace it with something from the auto parts store.

Good luck
rc
Hi rc, thanks for the reply.

I have just tried it without the killswitch and still nothing. I looked at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJFyDYIkElI ...

...and the guy in the video towards the end(diagnostics portion of CDI and magneto) tests the CDI current with a multimeter set to 2k, attached to nothing. I have no clue why I am getting no spark, but the next to try is definitely both wire replacements on the end of the CDI, and the boot if I can also.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It does seem as though you have a misunderstanding of what to expect. The CDI should not have any 'charge' when all is just sitting there.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

You have tried rolling the bike and dropping the clutch, right? As an alternative, you could prop up the rear wheel. Then pull the spark plug. With it attached to the wire, lay the threads against the engine and spin the wheel. You should see a spark across the gap.

Sorry if I"m going over elementary stuff that you've already done. But that wasn't clear in your post.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Let's start at the basics. Tell us how you have the ignition wired.
The CDI is typically a dependable and trouble free unit. The chances that you have three bad ones in a row are very slim indeed. You're doing something wrong, either in how you are using a meter or wiring the CDI/magneto circuit. Draw us a diagram of your wiring or post a photo of it.
It would also help to tell us how you have determined that you "have no spark".
Get back to us with some information. We'll get you running.

As for that overpriced aftermarket device you mentioned; save your money.

Tom

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Hey guys, thank you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it, and will karma++ when I can!

Okay so I definitely have the magneto set wrong, or the magnet rather. It's not in the desired "1 o'clock key position", so I'm changing it as we speak. I'm including pictures to show. The killswitch isn't attached of course, and I know about the rudimentary spark plug on head while spinning back wheel. Nothing, there's not spark at all. Definitely trying the magneto position.

One more thing...does it really affect the piston if it's NOT top dead center? How would it matter if it's not top dead center, because when you release the clutch the piston moves anyway...any explanations?

I am known to complicate easy matters with much more theoretical answers and formal logic. The curse of being a computer scientist. >_<

Pics here:
http://postimg.org/image/692fjo6sh/ - Magneto Position(trying to fix right now lol)

http://postimg.org/image/uob9ech95/ - CDI Wires correct...

http://postimg.org/image/6jbetz2uf/b746b3f1/ - I couldn't for the life of me, pull the cord out properly because it was super-ridiculously-impossible-how-is-this-real-life glued in. Tight as can be of course. So I had to rip it out and gut it with a knife. I doubt any copper touching that plastic will disrupt the connection, but an input would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you all! You guys got me a great head start.

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Just to make sure I'm fully understanding... when I test the spark plug on the head for spark, do I need the clutch to be engaged? (Bicycle mode) or do I need to use force to try to roll the wheel forward?(engine mode...lol)

This has gotten me stumped. I have tried all 3 of my spark plugs, all gapped to 26 thousandths(.026), I have fixed the magneto and piston head problem, I have tested the magneto for charge( it has a charge), I have tried from choke and no choke start, but let's forgyet about that because the bike isn't even getting a spark.

The only possibility is what rc said: the spark plug wire. I have 3 CDIs so if all 3 spark plug wires are bad, that's something to think about. Definitely not putting it out of the equation that all 3 could be faulty; however I'm assuming since most bikes that come with the stock CDI are able to magical run(everyone's except mine of course :'( ) then I doubt that would be the issue. Then again, probably with my luck.

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Just to make sure I'm fully understanding... when I test the spark plug on the head for spark, do I need the clutch to be engaged? (Bicycle mode) or do I need to use force to try to roll the wheel forward?(engine mode...lol)

This has gotten me stumped. I have tried all 3 of my spark plugs, all gapped to 26 thousandths(.026), I have fixed the magneto and piston head problem, I have tested the magneto for charge( it has a charge), I have tried from choke and no choke start, but let's forget about that because the bike isn't even getting a spark.

The only possible problem I can even fathom at this point is what rc said: the spark plug wire. I have 3 CDIs so if all 3 spark plug wires are bad, that's something to think about. Definitely not putting it out of the equation that all 3 could be faulty; however I'm assuming since most bikes that come with the stock CDI are able to magically run(everyone's except mine of course :'( ) then I doubt that would be the issue. Then again, probably with my luck.

This is going to be a whole month I have owned the bike and not been able to get a single spark. I'm thinking of giving up and returning it and just taking the bus. I honestly don't know what to do. If I could possibly get this bike running, I would have transportation in NYC while saving so much money. That's the ideal situation, since I'm in college and my car is just sitting in my garage for reasons too long to explain. Ugh.

Once again, I THANK YOU ALL GREATLY for your answers and support. Not gonna' throw in the towel QUITE yet!

:-||

Edit: I do apologize for the double post. I seem to have accidentally hit the submit button on my laptop twice with my finger. (It's a touch screen )

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Biknut posted the diagram, But, Didya check. BLACK to BLACK, BLUE TO BLUE and no wires touching metal. and sometimes the plug boot is hard to push all the way on. It's gotta be something simple yer missing bro.
fatdaddy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The clutch must be engaged to test for ignition. Also slowly spinning the rear wheel might not be enough. It would be better to walk the bike forward at a fast pace while holding the spark plug firmly against the cylinder head cooling fins. You'll want the wrench flats touching the head, not the end (electrodes) where the spark is supposed to occur. With the plug removed there will be no compression to work against so the bike will roll freely.

Those plug in connectors on the blue and black wires are notorious for poor electrical connections. We always suggest soldering those splices and protecting with heat shrink tubing. I had one that the connector was crimped onto the outer insulation and not touching the conductor. Trash them.
I see you have one of the newer style magnetos that does not have the white wire. That's a good thing.

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Biknut posted the diagram, But, Didya check. BLACK to BLACK, BLUE TO BLUE and no wires touching metal. and sometimes the plug boot is hard to push all the way on. It's gotta be something simple yer missing bro.
fatdaddy.
Of course I checked, I posted pictures directly under the post with links to my pictures.

And still no spark, no matter if I try rolling it engaged or disengaged. Also it's kind of tough to roll even while it's engaged...though I've read somewhere that the bike should be sort of hard to roll while the clutch is engaged. (Duhhh lol)

Anyway, could someone post a picture of the proper way the connectors need to be soldered? I have no soldering skills whatsoever so all of it went right over my head; though I'm starting to think the connectors MAY in fact be the problem if all 3 CDIs are not working.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Check that you've got good fresh fuel to the carb and then try to start it. Note: I'm suggesting this becaue accurately checking for spark on these "peddle-start" kits can sometimes be difficult without an easy to see/read "spark tester" (~ $5 at Harbor Freight).

Once you sure that you have fuel to the carb try starting it beginning with the choke in the fully "off" position (NT carb = lever down). Then try it with partial and then full choke if needed (like you've been doing).

If it still doesn't start, then RC is probably correct in that you may have a damaged spark plug wire and/or cap. Otherwise, check for a shorted or open circuit on your magneto wiring followed by double checking for continuity through your spark plug wire and plug cap with an ohm meter (~ $4 at Harbor Freight).

For more in depth "no spark" troubleshooting read through the very bottom part of the link below (compliments of Lynn at Custom Motor Bicycling (retailer of kits, parts, and accessories):

http://www.custommotoredbicycles.co...es_5cdi_coilmagnetongk_spark_plugs__boottools

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
I found what appears to be the problem!!

So with my multimeter, I get continuity from the magneto directly, AND from the tip of the black and blue wires from the magneto.

HOWEVER, when I went to check for continuity using 2K for the spark plug cap, I got a straight infinity. (nothing, no charge.)

I mean I COULD be measuring it wrong, but my multimeter has a red and black wire. I hooked up red to blue connection (with magneto in of course) and black to plug end. then I did reverse, red to cap and black to black. then black to blue and red to cap. nothing. no charge.

so I seem to have found the culprit, but what can I do to remedy the situation? I know getting a new spark boot and wire will help tomorrow, but other than that, what could possibly be wrong with the CDI that the charge is not continuous throughout the magneto to the plug cap? also, hopefully someone will post the pictures of the soldered connections because I'm not going to try it and screw up and wait for another one without those pics. I've waited long enough... :/

did I even measure it correctly? I am doing this based on how I got my 320 ohms reading using my multimeter set to 2K on the magneto wire tips and magneto soldered joints.

also will I even get any charge if the bike isn't moving, or does the CDI exist ONLY to amplify the charge sent at a specific time and other than that time, will it always have no charge so I can't take a reading on it? some people have told me the CDI doesn't have a charge but the video I posted in my previous post shows that it would, but Idk if that guy had his CDI strapped on and working for awhile. not sure if that's why he had a charge; because it was used before. (successfully)

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Update: Hey all I ran my multimeter at 20k and unplugged the cdi and tested:

Red to plug cap and black to black cdi wire: 6.4-6.7 depending on which Cdi

red to blue, black to black - 1 (infinite)

anything else was what the site said.

so I am getting a charge...but is it too powerful??

if I'm getting a charge and I've tried 3 different spark plugs and haven't gotten a spark still...what could POSSIBLY be wrong here?? totally stumped.

Edit: oh I've tried rolling the wheel while the clutch is engaged. nearly impossible, and I can't get it to really roll unless its high speed either.(a.k.a. already rolling from bike mode)
is it supposed to be that difficult to roll?

Last edited:

dubble a

Oct 20, 2013
georgia
This may be a dumb question, but I made the mistake myself. Did you unscrew the adapter from the end of your spark plug before trying to install the boot?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow.

OK, what 2door said... chances of more than 1 ded cdi in one place are astronomical.
3 is alien interference.

And WHAT cdi ????
Three wires come out of the case, two go to the coil, leave one cut loose and taped over til you get it running.

B6HS is a fine plug. chinagirl don't much care about the gap.
YOU seem really focused on that. She don't much care. Close is good enuff 4 a chinagirl. That's a detail you can fine tune later.

How might you have gotten the mag rotor mis-indexed????
It IS possible, but why would you have been that deep in the motor.
Probably 90% of em run upon receipt, and a few more give up shortly... but most of em will pop and make fire.

IMO, you need to lose that multimeter.
Then you can probably get it running.

The Alabama fisherman had some good information on getting a chinagirl put together, and Lord Vader has a very good section also.

It really seems to me there are any number of things going on between the lines that we can not see...

Yes, with the plug removed, there will be some drag when you attempt to turn the back wheel over by hand.
Yes, with the plug installed and the clutch released, (engaged), there will be resistance felt, and it WILL be difficult to pedal very far.
(But it IS possible to do if you want a real workout! ...go a long ways, that is.)

What we have here is the simplest universal design possible at basement prices.
It seems to me you are over-thinking all of this! :)

Have you posted your personal experience with small engines?
That, also, would help us offer suitable guidance.

Good luck
rc

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Edit: oh I've tried rolling the wheel while the clutch is engaged. nearly impossible, and I can't get it to really roll unless its high speed either.(a.k.a. already rolling from bike mode)
is it supposed to be that difficult to roll?
By what it sounds, if the bike is nearly impossible to move the with clutch engaged/engine spinning over, that could be the problem in itself. Now, I don't have any experience with a China kit, but the engine probably needs to spin over 500rpm or something to be able to even generate spark; this would probably be equivalent to pedalling the bike around 7mph or so. So, if it's hard to even get the bike up to that speed with the clutch engaged, I would assume internal engine damage causing it to not spin up properly because with the spark plug out of the engine there should be next to no resistance. Also, I would guess you know to pedal the bike up to speed and then let go of the clutch lever? Because it would be impossible to pedal up to the engine starting with the clutch engaged. But, like earlier, if the plug is out of the engine you should be able to spin it over just fine. If that isn't the problem, I would look at the magneto and not the cdi. If I'm right, it should be putting out about 6 or so volts a/c when the engine is turning; but like I said, I've never messed with a china kit but I do plan on getting one eventually. I hope I helped some because I honestly took a shot in the dark just going from what I know working on lawnmowers.