First HT Motorized Bicycle MTB build!

GoldenMotor.com

manicmarcus

Apr 10, 2013
Arizona
Hey guys! First time posting!

So I recently in the past few months have starting working on these bikes so I'm all very new to this, but learning a LOT as I go. With that being said...go easy on me :)

I first got a "complete" bike on CL for $200. I hated it. It had awful ape hangers and terrible control. So I decided to fix everything that the previous owner did wrong to the engine. That was a bigger task than I expected. Everything about how he ran his clutch wire/brakes was wrong, the carb was totally shot (I think it had an air leak), the CDI went out on me, the gas tank leaked, and the mounts he used were a nightmare.

So I decided to bite the bullet and put forth the money to make it a daily driver for me.

I started by stripping off pretty much anything that didn't have to do with the engine, that was easy for me. Got rid of those nasty ape hangers and put on some old mountain bike handle bars, but upside down to give it that cafe race/clubman look, definitely what I was going for. Along with the handlebars I put on a lower profile BMX handlebar riser, to really keep the bars tight. I got a smaller seat that would fit the bike better than the big Bell cruiser seat, too. After that I "fabricated" a rear fender out of an old bike rack and an old skateboard I had laying around. A little red neck ingenuity never hurt no one! And finally I put a new fixie front fork on it.

Next came the mechanical parts. I knew a lot less about this aspect of the build, but luckily you kind folks here know a lot. So I took to the forum for my every aching problem. I started by putting in a new NT stock carb, my old one wouldn't idle. Next came an identical 1 gallon tank (big, i know). Finally I ran a new clutch cable (properly), threw on a new throttle kit with a dual break lever from KingsMotorbikes.com

Lastly was "theme-ing" the bike. I went with green accents on just about everything. Green pedal, grips, riser, cables, and Thundercats decal! haha

And now, just about everything is done. Just riding and wrenching now!
Tell me what you think!

Attachments

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Re: First HT MTB build!

Looks sick! Totally awesome.... nice oury grips too. Im curious as to how comfortable the riding position will be. If your after speed you could throw on a maniac intake and a real pipe for pretty cheap - or just leave it as a stock ripper. Reminds me a rear seat i made for my sk8ter friend to come with me a while ago:

[/URL][/IMG]

-MOTO

manicmarcus

Apr 10, 2013
Arizona
Re: First HT MTB build!

Looks sick! Totally awesome.... nice oury grips too. Im curious as to how comfortable the riding position will be. If your after speed you could throw on a maniac intake and a real pipe for pretty cheap - or just leave it as a stock ripper.

I was a little worried about the riding position at first. But after taking her around town a bit, I love it! Obviously I'm lower to the tank which give me a more aggressive and more responsive steering. I'm about 5'8", and lower or farther away would be pushing it for me.

Who makes the maniac intakes and where can I find them online? Also where could I find some real exhaust piping?

Thanks,
ManicMarcus