Topsham Maine Scooter & Moped Rally

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
1st Annual New England Scooter Rally
July 26th - July 28th, 2013

This is a rally for scooterists and scooter enthusiasts. Regardless of the make, model, or engine size you ride, you and your scoot are welcome to attend. This year Ski's will be held from Friday, July 26th through Sunday, July 28th with the main portion of the rally and group ride culminating on Saturday July 27th. Come for just the rally on Saturday or stay for the whole weekend, it's up to you! Mopeds welcome!

http://shrimprun.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Geoff,
Are you going? Taking the taddy? Get lots of pictures. Looks like a great place to get together with like minded folks. Enjoy.

Tom

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
There is an outside chance that I'll be able to make it for saturday. So I'm going to hope all the stars come into alighnment. Sounds like fun!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
80cc board track racer style, she isn't pretty but she's a lot of fun
It's all about the fun lol, I won't tell her you said she ain't pretty :p

There is an outside chance that I'll be able to make it for saturday. So I'm going to hope all the stars come into alighnment. Sounds like fun!
o_O Up from Massachusetts? While I don't wanna discourage such dedication & it'd be great to see ya - bear in mind this is their "first" annual rally so I've no idea what the turn out is gonna be like, could be a ton of people, could be just me, Mainebushpilot & whoever organized the thing heh

Ofc as it's "scooters & mopeds" there's a good chance there'll be a couple few folks there, there's a lot more scoots & peds than bikes around here, I guess we'll see :D

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Maines cops are creepy and get stupid over ATV or bikes...aren't there permits required?...I know at oxford racewsy the creeps were right on property handing out fines.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Topsham & the surrounding area is usually pretty chill, I don't think any permits are required to camp in a privately owned, commercial campground & the "rally" is jus' a cruise around the town - it's not a race or anything.

It looks like it's going to be the typical Maine weather lol, well... at least it ain't snowing rotfl

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well as it turns out I had the only motorized bik... erm trike at the rally, but they're not that common 'round here so that's no surprise lol - in any case it was a lot of fun riding w/the scoots & peds with a simply amazing turnout! There was roughly 100+ riders with machines of all shapes, sizes and years & folks from all over the place, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, & more, from pretty much everywhere in the NE, there were even a bunch of people from Canada.

I was defo dwarfed in engine size with most being 150-400cc, but there were a good number of 50cc scoots & peds so I didn't feel too outclassed heh, the run was kept to about 30mph to account for us lil guys so we all had great time, we even had a chase truck & trailer just in case somebody popped but fortunately no one needed their generous offer.

I really should have taken more pics and tried for a better vid... but TBH I was having such a blast I missed shooting most of the best stuff and trying to record a vid handheld, while riding in a pack on our roads was just too sketchy, but here's some of what I did get if yer interested;

A short (& noisy) vid, I feel compelled to defend the taddy - I could keep up better on takeoff, but with the cam in hand I couldn't use me gears or the electric... ofc if they wanted to leave me they coulda lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZijRUwopys

...and a coupla pics, it was raining when I showed up at the campground on Friday - but Saturday was rally day and it was gorgeous out as you can see;

Motorized bikes or not, everyone was really friendly and we had such a good time - I'll defo be going again next year! The only "complaint" I had throughout the entire event is I ended up with a serious case of cup-holder envy, I have got to figure one out lol

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
the popularity of scooters now is amazing......its all I ever see out and about and looks like they had plenty there.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
sorry that I didn't make it, as I had to do work on my bike trailer(hauler). Looks like a good time. Keep us posted on thier next rally. The vid was short but good!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It was a grand ol' time and there were far more folks & scoots then I woulda ever have guessed - no worries Russell, it woulda been great to see ya but there's always next year, I'm defo going again!

Here's a better vid a friend shot of some of the run, I like how she sped up the clip to mach 10 heh - somehow it makes it easier to watch. I'm not in the clip as I was right behind her maybe one or two scoots/peds back, doin' me best to keep up lol

http://youtu.be/A7GEzlFcYDc

...and a couple few more pics jus' for the heck of it, sunrise at Thomas Point camp, the camper's coffee run, "allyourbasearebelongtous" & a coupla obligatory taddy shots;

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Man, Geoff, that looks like a fun time. You need a helmet cam and free hands.
Thanks for sharing the vid and photos. Was there a lot of interest shown in the taddy from the other riders? I would expect you had a lot of questions and admirers being such a unique vehicle.

Tom

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Man that looked like it was a lot of fun. I hope they have this again next year. I'd love to go. Looks like it was a blast. I stayed in that campground way back when they had the Maine Arts Festival there. I was a volunteer and got free camping along with a million other people. I had a blast! It's a great campground.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...Was there a lot of interest shown in the taddy from the other riders? I would expect you had a lot of questions and admirers being such a unique vehicle...
lol yea... you could say that there was some interest - it was all very good though, it was incredibly well received given it's not actually a scooter ;)

I did end up fleeing however, it was hot in the sun & I needed to take a break - so I tossed a buncha motorbicycling.com cards on the seat to find all but one were gone when I returned, which I thought was kinda awesome;

...even as we were about to head out I was answering questions lol, you can just see me in the far left of this pic - or rather you can't as I'm leaning over & chattin' with a coupla peds, commiseratin' with the few other 49ers heh;

comfortableshoes - It was such an unexpected success I've been assured that they'll have another next year without a doubt, so I'm hopin' I'll see ya there (^)

Thomas Point Beach is a great campground, very clean & well laid out... I do hafta say calling it a "beach" might be a bit of a misnomer as it's only really beachlike for a mo' at high tide, the rest of the time it's the typical Maine coastline - marshy flats or rocky granite outcroppings, take your pick lol

Interestingly, much to everyone's relief though somewhat confusing as it's been such a wet season, there really wasn't much of a bug problem... very few skeeters & no blackflys at all? *shrug* I ain't complainin' that's for sure :p