project snow bike

GoldenMotor.com

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
ive decided to try motorizing a dual suspension mtn bike this winter. I extended the swing arm 14 inchs so i can mount the motor onto the swing arm its self. I still need to make the motor mounts, maybe this week end ill get to them. here is some pics of the mock up so far, I will be trussing up the swing arm.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That's brilliant! Looking forward to this build. The extra wheelbase will add a ton of stability in squirrelly conditions. Plus you won't have to worry about chain pivot points, eh? woo!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I like that idea a lot. That's how Razor MX500/650 are with the motor in front of the wheel to simplify things. You might want to use a pumper carb to avoid fluctuations from slosh though. You should use a long motorcycle seat on it, that would look so nice!

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I will have to make a spring loaded tensioner for the pedal chain since its going to be a single speed, but other than that i dont see a problem with the chains. just got to order a new mag, make my motor mounts, and exhaust. got a crazy idea for the pipe, dont know if it will work tho, will find out tho lol. im hoping with the long back end and having the weight on the back wheel should make it easier to control threw the snow. still have to pick up screws to stud up the tires.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
With the extended arm, you're going to need a much stiffer spring. Or maybe fab a linkage? Dual shocks? Looks very cool so far. Keep us posted!

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
im redoing the shock linkage to compensate for the longer swing arm, if its still too soft i have a stiffer spring in storage. buuut, i cant do any work on the linkage till i get the motor in place and mounted.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
im redoing the shock linkage to compensate for the longer swing arm, if its still too soft i have a stiffer spring in storage. buuut, i cant do any work on the linkage till i get the motor in place and mounted.
Yeah, needs to be done before you worry about springs. I have a full suspension junker in the tree...HMMmmmmm. You have given me a brain fart. I wonder if I can build a tandem with full suspension setup.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
that would be cool to see, i bet it would be a pain to get everything set up right, but once it was it would be a cool ride for sure tho. a full suspension tandem with a quiet pipe on it would be a nice cruiser to take the wife out for a ride with.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Finally got some time to work on the bike. I got the motor mounts finished and made a spring loaded tensioner for the pedal side. Since its going to be a single speed and have suspension, it needs a tensioner.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
no, the stock spring works fine with the new rockers i made, this isnt your cheapo single pivot suspension, its a modified four link. with the stock spring ihave about 1.5 inchs of sag when i stand on the pedals and another 5 inchs of travel while bouncing on it

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looking very cool mooner. I'd ride it. (Of course, that isn't sayin much....I once owned several Hodaka's....:))

BikeBerryKelci

Oct 25, 2012
brea
Finally got some time to work on the bike. I got the motor mounts finished and made a spring loaded tensioner for the pedal side. Since its going to be a single speed and have suspension, it needs a tensioner.

This is so awesome! Way to go the extra mile to make something work, I really appreciate your creativity!!! Keep us posted on your progress!.trlrl.