questions about the Genesis "29" mountain bike

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am seriously considering ditching my cruiser for a bike with gears. I really like the look of the genesis 29, and it seems like a good deal for a fully equipped bike at $200. I just have a few questions before I make my final decision. Is the bb on the 29 wide enough to clear a standard ht engine? I know one or two of you have added wider bb's to the 29, but is it required? If it is, can I use a one piece crank? I already have a wider one piece crank from the time I had a cent clutch. My only other question is about the front disc brake. Is it good enough to stop a bike going 30+mph, even in an emergency type situation? Thank you in advance for your prompt answers.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thank you, Skyliner. I have one other question. Will the chain clear the stock tires on this bike, or do I need to get tires that are less wide? And are replacement tires easy to get in that size?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am definitely going to get this bike. I have read several other threads on this bike and looked at quite a few pictures, and I think all my questions have been answered. might keep the pipe I have, because I seem to be able to accelerate very quickly and easily. I just rebuilt my pipe. its not completely done yet. I still need to put another coat of rtv on it and paint it. also need a proper silencer. using a soda can for a silencer now.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
the front tube is pretty wide. on 2 kits I bought I would of needed a new front mount but the first kit I got, the 66cc kit fit just right on the front tube. The chain might be a small problem, you can fix this by tweaking the chain tension some or ditching it like someone else have done with their genesis 29er. One thing I dont like about this bike is the crank, it will clear the engine but if you wanted to peddle sometimes, well the are so small it makes you work extra hard for a mountain bike.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The engine I have now has the wider front engine mount. I have a beach cruiser with the wider down tube and the engine bolts on with no adapter or anything. Can I use a one piece pedal crank on this 29?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I havent exactly made up my mind yet. I really like the way my current bike looks. it is a beach cruiser, but the more i add to it the more it looks like sort of an old cafe racer/early streetbike. i am thinking of installing a predator if i can get the money together to do it. i know i wont really be happy performance wise with any other setup, unless i get a mountain bike and install a shift kit, and that could cost almost as much as installing a predator. most likely i will go with the predator. the genesis 29 would have been a decent compromise, but i dont really want to compromise performance anymore. but thank you for answering my questions.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Killer Kanuk did one. Do a search on 29er. He has a pretty impressive one. He has a lot of info. I am doing the same thing (as you and him). I am going to Walmart to buy the bike tonight. The motor and shift kit will be bought next week probably.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I have built 2 of these bikes for customers. They were straight up builds. Nothing special added to them. I had absolutely no problems getting it all to fit.

Last edited by a moderator: