Moutain bike - clutch/brake lever??

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I've been riding non-motorized bicycles for more than 10 years now. I have >50k miles by bike in that time. Whenever I'm riding, I keep my index fingers on my brake levers. I have my shifters set up so I can shift either direction with my thumbs. I have become very experienced with the use of my brakes and can now stop on a dime and give you about 8 cents change. I like the idea of having both brakes operated from the same lever, it frees up space on your bars and for me would provide much needed stopping ability.
I'm planning on building a bike for some speed and stopping a fast ride is a good thing I think;)

magic man

Feb 28, 2009
coulmbus oh
Hey guys it's Magic man and thanks to Pablo you all can see what i was talking about when i was asking about the clutch lever with the numbers on it thing i have. If you go on bicycle-engines.com you can see the this clutch. Thanks to Pablo posting the web site information now the only question i have is how do you install the darn thing I have it own the bars where it needs to go but i have an extra cable that goes some where.PLEASE HELP with more info thanks magic man

Jun 25, 2008
sacrifice the front derailleur and use that gear shifter as a clutch (your dont need so many gears now!). Or mount the clutch lever at an angle under the brake lever.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys it's Magic man and thanks to Pablo you all can see what i was talking about when i was asking about the clutch lever with the numbers on it thing i have. If you go on bicycle-engines.com you can see the this clutch. Thanks to Pablo posting the web site information now the only question i have is how do you install the darn thing I have it own the bars where it needs to go but i have an extra cable that goes some where.PLEASE HELP with more info thanks magic man
You tallking about Thumb Clutch Engager Lever W/ Brake & Lock - $19.99 ?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree with Chris Hill,
I was very interested in the dual pull brake lever until this winter when I rode on slick surfaces and found my front brake useless. Any, and I mean very light, application of front brake made for some challenging times when there is packed snow or a little ice. Using only the rear brake gave me good, controlled stopping and I've become so accustomed to using the clutch locking button that having the brake and clutch in proximity isn't a problem. When approaching a stop I lock the clutch then use my left hand for front brakes when I need them. As for emergency stops, my brakes are good enough to kill the engine if I romp on them hard enough so I don't worry about the necessity of disengaging the clutch then reaching for the brake lever. It's all a matter of preference and what you get used to and what you're comfortable with. I never loan my bikes or allow anyone with no MB experience to ride them so the issue of having multiple controls on the bars really isn't a concern.
Tom

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Tom, your not telling the whole story I agree with you whole heartedly about what you say in regards to extreme and not so extreme braking with dual levers on the left. One major flaw in your story is that you omitted, is that you, a retired jet fighter pilot with two tours in Vietnam. And many many flying hours of combat air support, in jungles of Vietnam night and day sortes carried out day after day with to little to no sleep. Then there are multiple levers, switches, and a cluster of gauges that must be scanned over and over again. While flying over the jungle of Vietnam you must be on high alert scanning the for ground to air gilded missiles having all those numerous hightened skills you can't really apply your multiple talents of radical dexterities that you possess for common man to follow such an act as yours is ludicrous. Tom, next time you give any advise please dumb it down so that the average joe can pull it off. thank you glen