Help me trouble shoot my OHMS!

GoldenMotor.com

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hey there all, based upon a former post, I've included my results here on my 48cc GT 2, with ZERO spark, and would love your preliminary analysis. Thanks in advance for your time!

New CDI, new Magneto, New Spark plug, Upgraded cable. I CUT off the white wire connection completely ON the coil, although there's still a 'nub' to connect to for testing.

Woodruff key in place (superglue), Varnish/Contact points all scuffed.

Ok, so following your recent suggestions, here are my answers with my new Multimeter, step by step, with my results in RED:

Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms

Magneto Coil

1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms (3.3)
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms. (ZERO reading at 200 ohms setting, BUT, at 2M setting, I get 0.001)

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity) I get 0.4.
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms I've got 0.3.
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms. I've got 10.2.

Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms I get 9.7.

So, I get zero spark, if not MAYBE a minor spark here and there but technically zero.

Was running great for the last 300 miles.

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

Chris B.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
All of your meter readings are off. maybe your meter is defective?
Especially between blue and white on the magneto. The reading says you have a short there.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Especially between blue and white on the magneto. The reading says you have a short there.

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Ok, going to try it properly, by disconnecting the cdi from the magneto, THEN test independently...oops!

New readings below, in BLUE.

Thanks!

ORGINAL QUOTE:

"Hey there all, based upon a former post, I've included my results here on my 48cc GT 2, with ZERO spark, and would love your preliminary analysis. Thanks in advance for your time!

New CDI, new Magneto, New Spark plug, Upgraded cable. I CUT off the white wire connection completely ON the coil, although there's still a 'nub' to connect to for testing.

Woodruff key in place (superglue), Varnish/Contact points all scuffed.

Ok, so following your recent suggestions, here are my answers with my new Multimeter, step by step, with my results in RED:

Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms

Magneto Coil

1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms (3.3) 3.5[/COLOR]
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms. (ZERO reading at 200 ohms setting, BUT, at 2M setting, I get 0.001) ZERO[/COLOR]

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity) I get 0.4. ZERO[/COLOR]
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms I've got 0.3. ZERO[/COLOR]
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms. I've got 10.2. ZERO[/COLOR]

Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms I get 9.7. 2.37[/COLOR]

Also, I pulled off the spark plug wire, and couldn't get any sort of current to pass through to the boot, so I know the wire/boot are toast for sure. But, I think the brand new CDI is fried too.
And, since I've got nothing on the Blue to White on the brand new magneto, that's probably fried too???
[/COLOR]

Was running great for the last 300 miles.

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

Chris B.

Last edited: