AUS - MPs keen to stall motorised bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
I wrote an email to the Department of Infrastructure and Transport asking about PAPCs.
They had the following to say. When I followed the link to the NSW parliament, there were no listed links to follow for a public submission.

Good morning Mr Graham,

Thank you for your email about power-assisted pedal cycles.

The Australian Government administers the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 (the Act), which through the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) sets uniform standards for all vehicles entering the Australian market for the first time. The ADRs ensure that vehicles used on Australian roads meet a minimum level of vehicle occupant safety, emissions and anti-theft provisions.

Under the Act, a Power-Assisted Pedal Cycle (AB category) is defined as a pedal cycle to which is attached one or more auxiliary propulsion motors having a combined maximum power output not exceeding 200 watts. This power output is about equal to a person pedalling and is the main reason why the category is not required to meet any ADRs. By limiting the power output of Power-Assisted Pedal Cycles, the Government provides an option for those road users who want to ride a bicycle, but need the additional assistance of a motor to help with hills or longer distances. As these vehicles are very similar to bicycles, they are exempt from normal vehicle safety standards, and state and territory governments permit riders to use them by without being licensed.

Road users seeking more power assistance on their pedal cycle have the option of purchasing a Moped (in the LA category). A Moped is defined as a 2-wheeled motor vehicle, other than a Power-Assisted Pedal Cycle, with a top speed of no more than 50 kilometres per hour (and in the case of a petrol engine, no more than a 50 cubic centimetre cylinder capacity). A moped has a higher performance level than a power-assisted pedal cycle and as such is considered a motor vehicle under the Act. It is subject to a number of ADRs, including those for brakes, lighting, instruments and controls and noise. In addition, State and Territory governments generally require that moped riders are licensed and have the requisite skills to ensure that they are safe on the roads.

You may be interested to know that the AB category is in the process of being amended. The New South Wales Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) comprehensively reviewed the AB category definition in 2008-2010, at the time holding wide ranging interest group forums. The proposed change to the current definition is to include, as an option, the definition in European standard EN 15194. This would permit a power of 250 watts, but the rider must pedal in order to activate the motor. It also limits the top speed limit to 25 kilometres per hour. This proposal will be actioned following final agreement of all State, Territory and Federal representatives on the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board.

The Ten News article referred to a new review launched by the NSW State Parliament Legal Affairs Committee. Details about the Committee can be found at this website: Legislative Assembly Legal Affairs Committee - NSW Parliament I suggest you contact the nominated contact officer if you require further information.

Kind regards

Ben Ryan

Standards & International

Vehicle Safety Standards Branch

Department of Infrastructure and Transport

Phone: 02 6274 6651

Fax: 02 6274 7418

Email: [email protected]

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
yuck the electric bikes suck for follwing reasons

1. range limited
2. initial cost to purchase i could buy a damn car...
3. having to charge them all the damn time and if they go flat pedalling with batteries on there makes the bike quite heavy vs petrol being widely available for refills every 2km via petrol stations

My bike is a backyard job, however it's more 'soundly' built than those of some bike shops.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
yuck the electric bikes suck for follwing reasons

1. range limited
2. initial cost to purchase i could buy a damn car...
3. having to charge them all the damn time and if they go flat pedalling with batteries on there makes the bike quite heavy vs petrol being widely available for refills every 2km via petrol stations

My bike is a backyard job, however it's more 'soundly' built than those of some bike shops.
The ONLY "issue" with electric bikes is the initial cost..
The range limited and recharge issues can be overcome easily...
My ebike has an 80-100 mile range and only takes 3 hours to recharge...
And some might say 3 hours is too long... BUT!!.. if I take an hour break every 30 miles or so to recharge, then I pretty much have unlimited range.. (If anyone has ridden 30 plus miles on a regular bike, you know, you NEED an arse break!) AND with enough money, recharge times can be dramatically reduced to 15 min instead of 3 hours.... Over TIME, an electric bike is as cost efficient (or even more cost efficient) then a gas bike, has no smell, creates no exhaust, is much quieter and can be easily speed limited.

Mr_R.I.DING

Dec 28, 2010
Adelaide
unfortunately there is only a few ways to stop them amending this legislation.

1. get an online petition for MB'ers for australian riders

2. take it to your local MP and discuss with them their real green credentials with regards to fuel use etc etc.

3. nag incessantly.

""Campbelltown MP Bryan Doyle said a review of laws governing the controversial form of transport would be top of the agenda for the NSW government's new legal affairs committee"'

obviously someone in campbelltown has nagged this MP incessantly till he made a deal about it.

someone from the Mb'ers should nag him on the flip side. anyone here very eloquent in their speech?

+ another thing most road cyclists can put out 200 watts by their own powerful pedalling. will this new law ban them? lol

+ADDITION

Amateur bicycle racers can typically produce 3 watts/kg for more than an hour (e.g., around 210 watts for a 70 kg rider), with top amateurs producing 5 W/kg and elite athletes achieving 6 W/kg for similar lengths of time. Elite track sprinters are able to attain an instantaneous maximum output of around 2,000 watts, or in excess of 25 W/kg; elite road cyclists may produce 1,600 to 1,700 watts as an instantaneous maximum in their burst to the finish line at the end of a five-hour long road race. Even at moderate speeds, most power is spent in overcoming the aerodynamic drag force, which increases with the square of speed.[4] Thus, the power required to overcome drag increases with the cube of the speed.

Last edited:

Mr_R.I.DING

Dec 28, 2010
Adelaide
anyone know or live in in campbelltown?

might need someone to sit in on the council meeting with regards to this MP. as ratepayers you have a right to be heard at the council as well...