AC generator build

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I scored big at a yard sale today. Ten bucks got me a 5 hp briggs and straton and alternator that had 420 v8 on the tag. I have an old inverter that my brother was throwing out (he lacks the imagination I have). so I was thinking that I could make myself a small portable generator if I added a car battery to mess of parts I already had.

Then my next thought was that it would by a fairly small form factor if I did it right, so why not add a wheel and make it a bob trailer to power a an AC electric bike.

I lack the drive motor and stuff for the bike half of it, and I know most electric bike stuff and info tends to be for DC builds. Any thoughts on an AC build, and does AC simplify the controller/throttle side of it?

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
i have thought about a similar project myself , a GM self contained alternator is usually the most desirable for swaps, projects and such , most are 110 amp , i think a straight AC build is possible and it is more efficient , studying on trains , they now use a three phase micro processor controlled motor , AC motors are more durable , less drag and produce more power for the same size , most phase three motors are 220 volt and up , i am not sure any car alternator could deliver the amps and volts needed to run even a 1000 watt motor , if you covert AC to DC then invert it back to AC to run a charger to charge the batteries for the DC bike motor , you have a extra battery and a loss of efficiency, if you could find a suitable AC motor and controller you could eliminate the batteries and run AC , i am going to do some experimentation myself and see what it takes to make it work ..
good luck
Keith