Homemade lights are the best

GoldenMotor.com

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
So I've been working on a set of lights for my bike. I got tired of the walmat crap I was using, it didnt cut it!

Here's what i did,

The supplies:
2-6v 4.5amph SLA batteries(from Academy Sports) wired in series(10$ each)
1-12v 20watt halogen lamp (RadioShack) part #272-0006 (7$)
1- Blazer Stop/tail light (Tractor Supply) (10$)
1-1in round steel ramekin/sauce cup(free)
1-2x2x2 square plastic tubing (free)
1-on/off switch (radioshack) (3$)

some wires and jb weld

I'll post pics to show how i put it all together

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I am curently working on a little circut board that will take ac from white wire or dyno hub and convert it to dc to run lights or whatever.
http://db.tt/iLzqisQ <-- pic link
Super easy diy ,all from radio shack, for about six bucks. It does require TWO batt for it to work ,but ther fairly small six volts from batt plus . Once tested prob coat the whole board in plasti dip. If it works I'll post a diy thread.

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
yeah that would be awesome if i could run my lights off the white wire it would save alot of money not having to buy batteries every 3 weeks. I'm working on a step by step page on instructables.com but again it for for the 12v lights only showing how i built my headlight though

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
You should search thru the post about white wire, there are many guys who do. I've found however that bulbs brown out quickly . Runing a charging circut ,you have too insulate lights from frame and run an extra wire but batt. Should last year or two.

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
true it's hard to find a bulb that would last more than a few weeks without giving out. Most of the guys here turn to leds but without a rectifier theyre useless

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I've been useing the screw base bulbs from ace ,most folks don't know to check the pull out boxs in elec. Dept. .they are good for a season thats about it. But seem best on dc vs straight off white wire. I did run across a screw base led online some were i'll look for site.

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I haven't even got my first build finished yet, but I read about this system from a bike forum and almost immediately wanted to try it because even cheap bike headlights are $25 and the LEDs don't really work as headlights except for signaling drivers of your presence.

I found a link to a build instruction, which led me to search for how cheap the parts actually are.
Low Voltage Flood Flight
Toggle switch
12V Sealed Lead Acid Battery
Battery Charger

Mounting the battery seems like the biggest challenge, but mostly because of aesthetics. I would want it to go under the gas tank if possible.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I got the BGF headlamp with 9 LED's and I'm less than happy with it. I also have the MightyWonderful white wire regulator with a 1 amp battery pack with 4 AA rechargeable batteries. Way dimmer than I expected when I had been using a small LED flashlight with 3 AAA. So I'm looking at a 7 watt 6 volt Halogen emergency lighting lamp, see how that works. Be a couple of weeks before I can get one, though :p

Another thing I looked at is the Fireman's Lantern that EverReady and others make. The lamp is a sealed beam type and a spot light. They're are made for rough use and jouncing around. The lamp unbolts from the body so a mount can be easily fabricated. I'm getting a 12 amp 6 volt SLA battery so I'll have plenty of power to run lights.

Last edited:

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I got my idea from a biking forum when searching for the best bike light available. The argument seemed to sway between whether a home built halogen setup was actually better than a commercial HID light.

The main suggestion they made was to use the front reflector mount for the light so it moves with your forks.

Maybe I'm just overly enthusiastic, but a home built moped demands a home built light as well. A functioning headlight is important if you're actually going to ride at night, but spending more on a headlight than your motor or bicycle is just ridiculous.

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
The major limitation LEDs have is that bulbs are mostly limited to approximately 1w of power to prevent overheating. The primary way they make a light brighter is to add more and more .5w or 1w bulbs which creates a larger and larger cross section. Eventually LEDs will be able to match the intensity of halogen and HID lights with a single bulb, but right now even the best ones are more like signaling lights.

As a side note I think the battery I found will fit flat under the fuel tank discretely... I feel the urge to order immediately.

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
i posted the pics of my lights on my profile check them out and tell me what you think i would post them on this thread but i dont want to re-size themxct2

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
its a 12v 20w halogen with 2-6v batteries running 9 amp my light last about an hour i havent rigged up a trickle charge to the white wire yet but i do take them off every now and then to charge them with my car charger

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
ive seen a few people do something like that but they made some type of circuit board which i have no idea how to do