Kim & Matt's e-bike Hills ride video

GoldenMotor.com

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I typed the below post out late last night while waiting
for the video to upload to Youtube, long story short after 4 attempts
2 on yourtube (video to long) and 2 on Metcafe (just hung after uploaded)
I went to Vimeo to try my luck there uploading, only to find it has a pissy
500mb limit :roll: SO i re-encoded it to 480p (sorry Luke)
and FINALLY have it on the net! Link n post below.

Ride Day Video!!!

Matt.P and I headed at ~midday yesterday and completed a 23km ride through some of the biggesst mofo hills your likely to see
both bikes performed very well, couple of minor issues, Matt's front hydraulic brake decided it wasn't going to play nice
and was rubbing for a bit around half way through the ride. Small issue for me was the large sprocket on my reduction
drive moved ~3mm causing the sprocket on the opposing end to eeeever so slightly rub on the chain tensioner mount, yes
i Know Luke and ThudSTaR 8) dimples not flats on the shaft just haven't been able to get it done with my
poxy drill set, shall get serious and rectify this ASAP! other than that OH hehe and Matt 'stepping off the bike' when he got
loose in some gravel it was incident free UNTIL we got home, was sitting looking at footage & bike on charge when i
hear this LOUD PssssssssssssssssssssssssssT look out the door into the workshop, the front tire blew out the valve!
(i checked it not 20 minutes prior to the ride, i'm lil paranoid aboiut front wheel blow outs seeing one put me in a wheelchair for life)
The tire pressure was 55psi (Tire rated for 60psi) Both tire and tube are as new so lucky this didnt happen on the ride
when i was tucked up doing near 70 clicks :-|

Some may be unfamiliar with one or the other of both...here's a few stills of the rides-->

Matt.P's 500watt geared MAC Frock equipped A123 prismatic celled Giant full susser MTB-->

And my Custom Cruiser powered by a 80-100 130kv Turnigy and lithium polymer

We covered ~ 23km distance clocking a max of 70km/hr on downhill stretches.
Only bad news really was once again BOTH mine and Matts cameras failed and only captured ~1/2 the ride, We both used our
808s (type 3) Spy cameras for the video. Matt got more than mine did but once again we missed capturing some
of the best scenery the hills has to offer as we passed through the lush green Valleys of Pickering Brook and Carmel,
unsure why this happened, neither cards where even close to full and batteries full charged guess you can't expect
brilliance for a buck forty six :lol: ...next ride i think we will each capture one half of the ride .. OH... battery specifics, Matt,
if i recall correctly you used up in the vicinity of 9ah (400ish wh?) of his 15ah pack...Myself pulled 12ah or (~577wh IIRC) from my
20ah pack. I think if we captured the second half of the ride you guys would be pretty amazed thats all we used damn we
hit some mofo loooong drawn out hills.

Was an AWESOME ride my motor on only one occasion got to a point i couldn't hold my hand on it indefinitely,
this was after ~2km up hilll stretch of Mundaring Weir rd, just before this couple of Lukes fav bikes road on buy us :(
yes Luke we were pwned by a couple of Harley Gayvidsons presumeably on their way out to the Weir Hotel...
Missed capturing it though cameras had turned off loooong before this :-(

As you can see, the power is down to just above half of what i was running before, the bike is slightly down on
power it is noticeable on the steeper hills still i managed to hold steady 48km/hr the whole ride on the steepest hills
It does give me a sense of confidence the bike just isn't as 'crazy' as before :: fingers crossed:: reliability will
be improved also and i can keep this bike going while the new bike becomes the money pit "experimental" machine
the cruiser has been till now haha

Hope you all enjoy the footage we captured anywayz, have edited both mine and Matts together has taken
me 4 hours (only to have to ruin it by reducing the quality to 640x480 :roll: apologies if it hurst anyones eyes) :-S -->

Matt & KiMs Hills Ride Video

Matt and I took it very easy the first half of the ride as the second half is the hardest on the bikes much of it run at WOT up
some lengthy hills as you make your way from the bottom of the valley to the top ...
If we went this route again knowing now we have the battery capacity we could raise the cruise speed 5-10 clicks was such a lovely day
out though we weren't in no hurry to get anywhere, as can be seen by the passing cars we kept up a decent pace all
things considered.

Massive thanks to Matt for a thoroughly enjoyable ride :D Only time i get to go on decent ride without
wheelchair in tow is when i am out with Matt so i look forward to ride days immensely! shall be doing it again in a few weeks time
hopefully if Matt is available :wink: I will also *bump the Aussie Roll Call Thread so any West Aussies keen for a group ride (we are thinking on the cycle
path around the Swan River/City and perhaps a bar-b-q meet-n-greet type affair afterwards or a few ales at one of the pubs
along the way, head to the thread and express your interest so we can get numbers and workout
a time that best suits all participants.

Back to working on the new bike tomorrow, between long stints on the lounge watching Bathurst 100

until next ride day thats it for now for me with this thread fellas... 8)

KiM

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That's a beautiful bike you have there, Matt's is cool too. Sounds like it was a fun ride. :)

The Vid's gone though? You should try Megavideo.com, they have no run-time limit.

gl.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Yes i have taken the video down i am working on new one, unfortunately the old one was not much larger than a postage stamp, check back later today will be a better quality larger ratio vid to watch :)

KiM

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Ok all sorted, not hidef but aspect ratio is large now hope you all
enjoy :) Gives you a good look at how quiet these electric bikes are compared to the ICE motored bicycles.

Matt & KiMs Hills Ride Video

(original post edited with new link also)

KiM

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the video was shot on a pair of 808s keychain spy cameras We picked up of ebay for $1.46 ..meant to do 90min of video something caused this pair to shut down and as there is no external led when they are on in video mode its hard to tell when they are and aren't working.

Last edited:

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Yeah unfortunately the second half of the ride wasn't filmed, although we thought we were fiming it :-( We got into the real hilly areas with some serious uphill section, 2km drawn out hills give the bikes a workout, the scenery when we got into the valleys where the orchards are is very picturesque...next time we will get it third time lucky haha :: fingers crossed::

Actually organizing a group ride around the cycle path that borders our Swan River, it runs for many kilometers, around the river to the city then from the city to the ocean then from there 70km all the way south to Mandurah, we have some extensive bike paths here that have been built over alot of years...there should be some 'alternative' scenery in the next ride, seeing summer is nearly apon us, think lots of girls wearing bikini tops and daisy duke shorty shorts... :p

KiM

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
sweet vid :)

I have been following your build progress for a long time,
here, mbc, and at endless sphere !!!

your ride is the coolest electric I have seen anywhere, and all your effort definately shows (^)