Plywood Bike Frame

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
id ride it.plywood is actually real strong.i demo/rebuild houses and two strong men can hardly rip up a piece of 5/8 plywood off a floor or tear in half for better wordsso i think id would be pretty strong if the steel is connected good.to the wood

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You could make wooden bearings out of Wenge or Ebony and carve a Teak saddle with an Oak branch for the handlebars.....that wood be awesome!laff Eight spoke wagon wheels wood be a mustlafflafflaffdance1

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I like the scrap PVC pipe "clamps". Now I know what to do with all my scrap pieces of pipe. :D

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I really like that idea! The pedal crank mounting looks dodgy though.
I have to agree there. It wouldn't have been that difficult to make a block out of stacked plywood that the crank tube went through then bolt/glue that to the frame.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think a wood/steel hybrid bike frame may work well. The top tube and seat stays would be plywood. The parts containing bearings and fittings would be steel.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Can't remember where, but I saw a bamboo bike frame made in India or maybe Indonesia... beautiful and very high dollar. Bamboo is strong and isn't even wood, technically, but is a grass.
SB

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
from what ive heard bamboo has the tensil strength of steel but and is more flexable but thats just bwhat i heard im sure it would loose strenght and become brittle when it dried out but bamboo is strong stuff it might even work as a stiff shock absorber but i wouldnttake the time to build a bamboo bike

oh the bam part of bamboo comes from the small explosion of hot gases when burning the bamboo have sealed airtight tubes when subjected to fire the air expands and eventually bam

discontinuuity

May 24, 2010
Colorado, USA
A little research online tells me that steel has a tensile strength of 841 MPa while bamboo is only 265 MPa, or about the same as low-quality aluminum. For its weight and size though, bamboo tubes are very strong. I think this strength is mostly because of the thickness and shape of bamboo rather than the strength of the fibers themselves.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL WA. I was under the same impression. What really freaks me out is bamboo is still used as scaffolding to build high rises. bamboo scolfoling - Google Search

Capt. Foss, my mentor had a theory that we had given up on older methods for the next best thing. He was talking about auxiliary sail power used in conjunction with power propulsion. But think it is true here as well.

I shoulda put a "ramble alert" on that last bit, eh?