pedal wont clear muffler or motor

GoldenMotor.com

remnant

Jun 22, 2010
texas
trying to mount sky hawk 49cc on an old Schwinn 12 speed racer 26" bike . the pedal will not clear the side of the motor or the muffler . is there a trick to the height of the motor away from the pedal crank. i really don't even know the right language or parts names this is all new to me but i dig it. thanks for any help, i see how this is totally addictive if i can ever get started.:-||

remnant

Jun 22, 2010
texas
OK, I got the picture thing figured out I think. There is one in my previous post. Notice how I stacked the engine saddle brackets on longer threaded studs. Is this OK or will there be too much vibration or torque? Still not enough muffler clearance--where do I go from here?
Thanks

Attachments

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you can mount the motor lower, the muffler will likely clear the frame and front wheel easily.

Try mounting the engine without the muffler attached. If you can get it so that the pedals clear, you can have the muffler bent to fit by a mechanic.

If you want to move the cranks out, you have to plan your work and work your plan. Moving them too far out will affect your chainline drastically, and may keep you from being able to adjust your front derailleur for proper operation.

You may be able to use a generic mountain bike crank, and it likely will have a larger tread (distance between pedals) using the same Bottom Bracket (BB), but you will need to also use a mountain bike front deraileur if you want to be able to change gears. There are several different kinds of front derailleur too, from top swing & top pull, to bottom swing and bottom pull, or bottom swing top pull, etc. There are different clamp diameters as well. SRAM and Shimano both make some cheap "entry level" ones that come with shims and can work as either top cable pull or bottom cable pull.

You need a new square taper bottom bracket, so it looks. You need to know what size (diameter of threaded portion, thread pitch, usually called English/French/Italian depending on type, and length of spindle) bottom bracket you have, and how much farther apart the cranks need to be to clear your engine. These old style bottom brackets are around 20 bucks. Most likely it is an English threaded 68mm.

Last edited:

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
also check the size or the lenght of your crank arms...the pedals attach to them...you can purchase smaller ones...as far as the muffler...heating the exhaust pipe and bending it a little at a time will work...dont over heat...will distroy the integrety of the metal...and above all donot do it on the engine...Dennis