$47 instruction book for 50mph ebike

GoldenMotor.com

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Yeah, I'd like to build one. Very long term project. I could already see that he's using components I've seen on expensive downhill racing bikes. Also, the end product must weight a lot as the bike was still wobbling after he put it up on the stands. Still.......

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Funny, you get a "bonus book" "How to make your bike light"...

I will pass for 47.00 for a whopping 100 pages- even though the pictures of the available books look like real books....That's not what a 100 page book looks like, I have more pages in some magazines!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Usually I'm all about supporting DIYers and the projects they create...

but $47 for an ebook is 'tarded... partic given how many ebike peeps dedicate endless hours here offering all they know fer free, jus' outa love fer the hobby and the desire to see more electrics on the road.

The way the ad is written makes mine scam sense tingle too o.o

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What you guys fail to recognize is that you also get a bonus ebook on how to make an electric jacket which plugs into your ebike. How cool (warm) is that? Of course if it were me, being kinda forgetful sometimes, I'd likely fail to unplug my coat from the bike, start to walk away for a rest after muscling it up onto the stand and pull the monster over on me, breaking of number of old and valuable bones. And once healed up I would do it again. So while you might save on gasoline and auto insurance, the hospital bills can be a bummer. I think the almost six minute video is about five minutes too long. It is fast and would no doubt be fun if you live, but that sure is ugly.
SB

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't like to say that about other writers, but I agree when I get around to a DIY book of instructions it usually is a dozen or so pages and sells on ebay for a couple of bucks or so. I have had two I put up there for a limited time.

However if you were hoping to recover the cost of the build, he is probably right to charge so much since he won't be selling many of them.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Well , e books (most of them) exists on internet for free (rapidshare , torrents...). The only way to pay for an e book is when you have money back option - cause there are too many frauds . By the way , there are so many blogs , instructables on the net in detail of making the e bikes , with pictures , videos (and some include detail list of everything that was purchased with prices at the time) and only thing you have to do is - Google.
However , I believe that knowledge should be for free anyway and it is funny to see how people's mind works - that guy wants to cover expenses of building the bike by selling an e book for 47$ ?! What would be the cost of that book if he invented anti-gravity machine ? Deacon ( and few others ) posted in detail how he has done something on the bikes he built(for free), on this forum (with pics), so it's much better than e book ( + you can pop the question here, if something isn't clear and the builder & forum community will answer). And , there are other forums. Makes me very angry when I see something like this.
BTW , performance e bikes are a bit on heavy side - the one I posted before (excess 60 mph) is around 70 lbs. You can make it lighter , but with very exotic components and than the price goes into NASA territory.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My complaint with instruction books is, you can't ask them a question. Look at how most threads here get started. One guy asks a questions and the information floods out like a shotgun blast. Now that is how you learn things.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
that guy is over on endless sphere. name greasypants. he sells it to forum members for $27. theres a thread about it over there. really if your new to electrics it's said to be good info. i've spent more to learn about things i really wanted to know.

jeff96

Mar 29, 2010
Ontario
I looked at the website once and I think there was a statement like "but wait, today only for sale for $27" or something to that effect. I question his business savvy, but I can't blame him for trying.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thinking about it, I can see where information, especially information hard won, is worth something. $27.00 seems more reasonable than $47.00. And if it really is reliable transportation and can travel safely then that should be worth something. If you consider that someone building his bike may sell them for a profit and make a modest living then it seems like the innovator deserves something.
Before selling a juice can gas tank recently I felt funny about it and thought it was only right to see if Rockenstein who dreamed it up in the first place and who was my inspiration and teacher in building my own... how he felt about it and if he was planning to make and sell them himself. It isn't as if you could make a bundle on juice can gas tanks and retire in the Bahamas, but still. He was fine with it and has gotten a kick out of knowing others are using his idea.
Anyway, it seems OK to me if the guy makes something from his work. On the other hand the book image is misleading and I don't know about all the hype.
And it did look like he was going to run into that truck. You'd sure want top notch brakes to stop all that weight flying along.
SB

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
He e-mailed me back and said "The site has only been up a few weeks." and "there were two or three people building them", but had promised to not give out names or e-mail addresses.... :rolleyes:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You know, I have about 8000 posts detailing info on "How to build your damn bike and keep it the damned thing running".

I will have to send you guys the bill.

How much do you think it would be?
;)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Can I get in on the billing for info stuff as well. All this experimenting ain't cheap you know. But then someone would have to figure out how much life is worth, since this keeps me alive.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Can I get in on the billing for info stuff as well. All this experimenting ain't cheap you know. But then someone would have to figure out how much life is worth, since this keeps me alive.
Yeah , I agree. But , why make others pay for it (this is not directed to you deacon, just using the thought) ? I mean , there are sponsors , funds and what not , but that is reserved for something really worthy or scientific break trough or similar. This guy hasn't invented anything , he's just applied few existing components into bike frame (ok - it's fast) , but nothing revolutionary. It could be all found on the internet , or one can just ask few electricians what to do , or a science teacher from any hi school.
It is all right for that guy to try to sell it (but really , that price is...) and it is OK for someone to buy it (although I can't see the reason), but , for me , it is NOT right to advertise in that manner.